socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
Miruri
Rachel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike

Time to Upgrade the Suspension

This past weekend at Buttonwillow three things happened. My husband crashed the CBR600RR at turn 2, our friend crashed his FZ-09 coming onto the front straight and I managed a 2:05 lap time (finally). So needless to say the CBR is getting some work done to it and my husband has decided to make it his dedicated track bike.

What he really is after is improved suspension on the bike, but I cannot justify us spending a chunk of change on a bike thats 11 years old and has been crashed four times that I know of.

So where are the used last generation quality suspension parts of sales? I don't care so much who makes the shock or cartridge kits. I am looking for a price point that makes sense.

I am also not oppose to revalving the front forks, if you have good experience with a supplier please share them with me and I will check them out!
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
OOTV

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP

I own a couple of VFRs, one is a 2009, the other a 2001. I upgraded both bikes suspensions by replacing the internal components I.e. valves, shims and springs (Both OEM forks and OEM shock on the 09 and Penske for the 01). This transformed both bikes and even though their somewhat long in the tooth, I would do it all over again.

The cost for the 09 was less, due to the use of OEM components front and rear, I believe I spent less than $1200.00, Iíd have to look that up. The 01 would have been in the same range except I went with rebound adjustable fork innards and the Penske shock.

Although my 09 is my commuter/tourer and my 01 is my play/track bike both bikes benefited from these upgrades. I actually did track my 09 recently and can say the ROI was worth it to me. I went with DMr (Daughertymotorsports.com), a small company out of Indiana, the owner is a VFR community member and knows the bikes really well. He has helped quite a few VFR owners improve their rides, typically at a great price. He is now building fork kits and in the throws of designing/building his own shockers too.

Long story short, it should not have to cost an arm and a leg to improve the bike and doing so will most likely extend the life of the current bike, at least until a disasters crash ( forbid).
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Aphex

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Super Duke 990

First off, is the bike already sprung for his weight? Was the static and rider sag correctly set? Has he had any suspension guys look at his bike while at the track and help him tune it?

If not then do these things first, they're cheap and the benefits are easily noticed.

Racetech is the go to for a lot of people but you're also paying for the reputation. TBT is next door and half the cost, they rebuilt and recharged the shock on my 990 just as good as RT would have done.

Look into getting springs and having the suspension revalved or at least have some RT gold emulators installed in the forks if necessary.
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Member Garage Member Garage

With suspension upgrades, you need to consider it a sunk-expense. And it can be sizable if you go crazy.

So, first-off, what Aphex said - set the current suspension properly. If I recall the default springs in a 600 supersport are made for a 120# rider, give or take. A little off-the-mark when it comes to most of us.

I've used RaceTech before, and in fact recently put $550 worth of RaceTech upgrades into my not-worth-much 2003 GSXR1K. But the feel of the suspension is amazing. If it keeps me from a crash, I am happy.

So now let's consider your 2007 bike.

You say it's been crashed a few times already. Crashed hard, or just cosmetic? If it's just cosmetic, it's not that big a deal.

Do you want to patch it together, sell it, and find a good newer bike, then get suspension upgrades done to a more worthy bike? Since suspension upgrades are expensive, maybe you'd feel better putting the dollars towards a 2012-ish? Or are you happy to keep on the 2006 and just make it better? There's no wrong answer in my eyes.

Stuff to consider.....

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
i28
this is not a pipe

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07

^what all these guys said
Gold valves, springs, etc...
Only thing that hasn't been mentioned has been a different viscosity fork oil (for smaller adjustments)
It really does depend on what you want. I had my forks rebuilt and revalved and that alone still cost me about $500 (but it was worth it). Cartridge kit would have cost me a few hundred more but this was all I really needed.
You can also check to see if people retrofit another OEM shock on there (this may be pretty cheap).

Last edited by i28; 07-17-2018 at 05:58 PM.
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
First off, is the bike already sprung for his weight? Was the static and rider sag correctly set? Has he had any suspension guys look at his bike while at the track and help him tune it?

If not then do these things first, they're cheap and the benefits are easily noticed.

Racetech is the go to for a lot of people but you're also paying for the reputation. TBT is next door and half the cost, they rebuilt and recharged the shock on my 990 just as good as RT would have done.

Look into getting springs and having the suspension revalved or at least have some RT gold emulators installed in the forks if necessary.
Yes the bike is setup we are both out riding the suspension at this point. I will look into TBT and we have worked with Racetech in the past.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbeard View Post
With suspension upgrades, you need to consider it a sunk-expense. And it can be sizable if you go crazy.

So, first-off, what Aphex said - set the current suspension properly. If I recall the default springs in a 600 supersport are made for a 120# rider, give or take. A little off-the-mark when it comes to most of us.

I've used RaceTech before, and in fact recently put $550 worth of RaceTech upgrades into my not-worth-much 2003 GSXR1K. But the feel of the suspension is amazing. If it keeps me from a crash, I am happy.

So now let's consider your 2007 bike.

You say it's been crashed a few times already. Crashed hard, or just cosmetic? If it's just cosmetic, it's not that big a deal.

Do you want to patch it together, sell it, and find a good newer bike, then get suspension upgrades done to a more worthy bike? Since suspension upgrades are expensive, maybe you'd feel better putting the dollars towards a 2012-ish? Or are you happy to keep on the 2006 and just make it better? There's no wrong answer in my eyes.

Stuff to consider.....
Hi RG, I have gone over these topics a lot in my mind. Buying a new bike is a bit out of the question. The crashes on our CBR were hard-ish? All lowsides, but nothing more than broken clip-on's and rearsets with less than $80 dollars to replace. I did crack my stator cover at big willow but the woodcraft replacement cover held up fine this time around.

I'm basically on board for revalving and respringing the bike to Dustin's weight. It might make the bike pointless for me to ride but if it gets him faster I am all for it.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruri View Post
Hi RG, I have gone over these topics a lot in my mind. Buying a new bike is a bit out of the question. The crashes on our CBR were hard-ish? All lowsides, but nothing more than broken clip-on's and rearsets with less than $80 dollars to replace. I did crack my stator cover at big willow but the woodcraft replacement cover held up fine this time around.

I'm basically on board for revalving and respringing the bike to Dustin's weight. It might make the bike pointless for me to ride but if it gets him faster I am all for it.
This is a well-thought answer, IMO.

Not what I'd call hard-ish crashes. Lowsides are about as easy as it gets at the track, and normally won't tweak the important bits.

Throw some money into the suspension, within reason, and go wring it out some more.

Liked this post:
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
RPR

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple R (Street)
2015 Yamaha R3 (Race)

Wera forums for used race parts. Iíve linked a few 600rr part outs below. I also agree with all the above, I think a revalve and respring by one of the local suspension guys (racetech, lindemann, gp) would be more than good enough for track days and even entry level racing.

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...oodies.353929/

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...rt-out.353089/
CVMA #217
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

I feel like I can give some good insight, as I have a 2007 600RR and also got some suspension work done while looking for good value.

My work and advice received was from Tige and James Morse, who used to be at CM Motorsports. They were some knowledgeable guys that did a lot of support for the Willow Springs race series when it existed and a lot of us over at socalmoto.

For the forks, I decided to do springs but not anything else. When I brought the forks for service, I was told by Tige that the stock HMAS carts in the 600RR forks are very good and can give good results. So I let them pick a spring weight (.9 and .95 mixed for me) and also valve the forks. They also added 15mm of free play to the stanchions via what I assume is a spacer; it doesn't add 15mm of sag, just more room to adjust. This is good for 600RR I am told to help make it a bit more like an R6 in geometry, especially when matched with a rear shock that allows for ride height adjustment. They were nice enough to take my new Sonic springs I bought and exchange them for different weight springs that they wanted me to have (springs last forever), I think I had some .85.

Tige said he respects Race Tech for dirtbike stuff (their main business and what they started with) but he does not like their gold valves or their work on sportbike forks, he said they flow too much oil too fast. This is apparently why the 30mm Ohlins carts for the 600RR aren't widely liked and people tend to look for the 25mm older versions.

For the rear, I ended up getting a used aftermarket shock from 600rr.net for a really good price because it was slightly damaged. Then I saved up for parts for it (that I had to order from Italy) and had it serviced and valved. I think you can also get very good results from the 600RR stock shock, but I also wanted to increase the rear ride height. A tuner can, when servicing your shock, increase length as well, it's just not adjustable from the outside. I think the 1000RR rear balance cushion shock can also fit if you want to get a little exotic (the stock rear shock on the 2012+ 1000RR) though I'm not sure what tangible benefits it has. This figure may come in handy: stock length of 600RR shock is 293mm eye to eye. I increased to 298mm and while I didn't ride much like that, the bike remained stable and easy to handle.

cliffs: The stock carts are good, ask the tuner what springs they want to put in before buying them, if you get an aftermarket shock get something that local tuners can work on like Penske 8983 (two way) or 8987 (three way) which are around on the secondary market since new shocks are very expensive, remember anything you get will need adjusted and can't really just be put onto the bike without a mechanic adjusting it first so figure $250 for forks and $250 for shock on top of material costs (a tuner may give you a discount if you do front and back all at the same time)
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Wera forums for used race parts. Iíve linked a few 600rr part outs below. I also agree with all the above, I think a revalve and respring by one of the local suspension guys (racetech, lindemann, gp) would be more than good enough for track days and even entry level racing.

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...oodies.353929/

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...rt-out.353089/
Thanks Russ!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
I feel like I can give some good insight, as I have a 2007 600RR and also got some suspension work done while looking for good value.
This was a great post thank you for all the insight!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
1greatpandawan

I have ohlins shock for you.

Last edited by 1greatpandawan; 07-19-2018 at 08:24 AM.
1greatpandawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #14
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatpandawan View Post
I have ohlins shock for you.

How much? Send me your asking price in a PM if you wish to negotiate.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruri View Post
How much? Send me your asking price in a PM if you wish to negotiate.
Whatever you settle on, donít forget my 10% commission.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbeard View Post
Whatever you settle on, donít forget my 10% commission.

I probably owe you a lot more than that!
Liked this post:
Old 07-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Sticky Tires, brake pads, and suspension is all you need to go fast.

What does your husband feel is holding him back with the suspension?

Side note..reading your post, I think we unofiiciallly met. I was waiting for my crashed bike also at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
1greatpandawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl zx6 View Post
Sticky Tires, brake pads, and suspension is all you need to go fast.

I have all those but still slow :(
What am I missing pearl?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatpandawan View Post
I have all those but still slow :(
What am I missing pearl?
Guess I should of said it's what's the motorcycle needs to go fast lol. Although the superhumans of this sport can take a stock bike and run circles around all of us.

Thread jack.... Panda shoot me a txt and let's book a trackday together...

Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
1greatpandawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl zx6 View Post

Thread jack.... Panda shoot me a txt and let's book a trackday together...

Did you break up with your girl and change your #s? Lol

Advertisement