socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

My 2018 Riding Season

I haven't bored any of you this year with my racing season.

This year I am not racing in a solo effort. As my first expert season Team Outlaw gave me the opportunity to be part of their team this year. The team has great history in bringing riders up the ranks with the help of team Owner, Coach, and rider Mookie Wilkerson. He had taken a few years of from coaching a racing team but decided to give it another shot this year and I am exited to be part of it. Ultimate goal for me is just to be able to battle it out with the top guys and hopefully in a few years develop the abilities to qualify for a MotoAmerica round. Unfortunate for me I've really been struggling to keep up with the top group of guys in the expert class. I've been having a few difficulties with suspension set up since I am trying to use more travel on the front suspension. In turn I've messed up stability and flick-ability but the bike is easier to manage on corner entry. Its not an excuse to my results, the guys in front of me are just better than I am right now. I will continue to work hard with the team and try to be more competitive. every race I am creeping up the pack a few positions at a time.

For now here are a few pics from the Wera race in Vegas last weekend. Pictures are from https://www.blueyephotog.com/ Yaron takes some amazing pictures, you can even study the tire wear from some of his pictures.

Last edited by Pearl zx6; 05-06-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
monkeyfist

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2016 ZX636r
1996 GPZ 1100
1994 RM250r

Good luck this season. I am excited to see your upcoming photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyfist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

How do you like your custom leathers?
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
1greatpandawan

Nice!!! congrats on another milestone. One of this day I can proudly tell my sons that I pit with you.
1greatpandawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

Member Garage Member Garage

What lap times are you running at ACS and LV classic ??
Are you running a stock 636 motor or did you get a supersport build ?
What’s the difference between running solo at races verses being part of a team ?
Do you use telemetry ?
Why did you move up from yellow plated amateur to white plated expert so fast ? Instead of staying in amateur a few more seasons and running at or near the front 100% ?
Has racing experience made you a better track rider and why ?
Is Mookie still coaching at Fastrack or did he leave so he can have more time to run his team ?
If you wanna try your hand at MotoAmerica level competition maybe think about Daytona in FL if you can assemble a crew for pit stops. That grid is very deep (over 60 riders)
Or maybe consider dropping down a class to 300SSP which is a new class in MotoAmerica. Cheaper to run, easier to learn/improve in etc. Very few riders jump into Moto2 without competing in Moto3 or a Red Bull Rookies league first. Even Joe Roberts did 3 years in the Rookies League first before competing in stock 600 and now Moto2.

Good Luck and please post up your progress thru the season. Lap times, wins, podiums, race results, mistakes, crashes, things you learn, etc. I and a few more on here would love to follow your progress 👍🏽
Or post a link to your blog if you write one which I believe all sponsored racers have to do

Last edited by D675R; 05-06-2018 at 09:08 PM.
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Mookdogg

I'm still teaching at Fastrackriders.com. Still racing too!!👍
Mookdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Big_Panda
Forum Supporter

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Honda VFR800
1991 Harley Davidson FLHS
2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory SE
2001 GSXR-750 (Track only)

I'd love to be able to do amateur racing eventually. Super inspiring to see someone else doing it. At 31 years old and 6+ feet tall and well over 240 lbs I'm not betting I'll ever have a chance! I'd love to help out if you ever need an extra hand in the so cal area.
Big_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
MadMax
Part Deux

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 675R
2008 R6 (Totaled)
2005 R6 (Sold)
2003 R6 (Stolen)

Good job man!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfist View Post
Good luck this season. I am excited to see your upcoming photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks bud, I'll make it an effort to post more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatpandawan View Post
Nice!!! congrats on another milestone. One of this day I can proudly tell my sons that I pit with you.
I'm sure you've shared a pit with guys that are faster than me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Good job man!
Thanks MadMax

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
jamespz03

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F

Member Garage Member Garage

You're the best around, nothing's gonna ever keep you down. Best of luck!!
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

Thanks for sharing! I've always enjoyed riding with people faster than me, it pushes you more than you realize.
Mr. Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

A lot of good questions Allan.

As of this season I am running about the same lap times as I did last year at ACS with a bike that I am not completely happy with. This past weekend I did run a 1:24:03 at Vegas that's about 2 seconds faster than I did last year. Good thing is i know where i need to improve at that track so I am hoping to dio into the 22's the next time I am there.

Wish i had the extra 37ccs , I am running a stock 600 motor right now. I am planning on switching to a new R6 next year so I don't want to put money into the motor.

What’s the difference between running solo at races verses being part of a team ?
Well last year I did pit with a group of friends and we all helped each other so i wasn't completely on my own but running with a team makes things a little more easy. The main reason I joined the team was because I know Mookie has helped develop a lot of top riders. Since he is just getting started again I was extremely lucky to have gotten a spot in the team. I am more of a Replacements rider,... Keanu Reeves back up LOL..

Do you use telemetry ?
I haven't though about investing in a system yet, as of now I would rather buy tires..

Why did you move up from yellow plated amateur to white plated expert so fast ? Instead of staying in amateur a few more seasons and running at or near the front 100% ?
My rookie season I had a lot of good competition but I did win a championship. I figured it would be better to be the sacrificial lamb now. I think I can run with that second lead pack by the end of the season so its a goal I wouldn't of aimed for if i had stayed in the novice group.. Even though one of the Novice riders is killing it this year.

I think so because if I do a trackday, I always try to aim for a goal or just work at the stuff that I know i need to get better at. Its also very easy for me to turn off the switch and just go out and have fun with friends in the intermediate groups.

Is Mookie still coaching at Fastrack or did he leave so he can have more time to run his team ?
Yes he is still a rider coach and he is also one of the instructors for the Fastrack Academy.

If you wanna try your hand at MotoAmerica level competition maybe think about Daytona in FL if you can assemble a crew for pit stops. That grid is very deep (over 60 riders)
Or maybe consider dropping down a class to 300SSP which is a new class in MotoAmerica. Cheaper to run, easier to learn/improve in etc. Very few riders jump into Moto2 without competing in Moto3 or a Red Bull Rookies league first. Even Joe Roberts did 3 years in the Rookies League first before competing in stock 600 and now Moto2.

Well my goal is to qualify for one or two MotoAmerica races a year. I don't have any intentions of running a whole season. I don't have the budget and those that are running full seasons are incredibly talented and leagues above my skill level. The 200 would be fun. The qualifying margin is high and is likely why the grid is so full. If the opportunity comes I will take it, for now i have to try to catch up to the rest of the club racers in front of me.
Liked this post:
Old 05-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Chaplain

Dude I didn't realize you were pursuing this. Stoked for you, keep digging!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
prakthad

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha FZ1
2008 Yamaha R6

Awesome stuff Ivan !! Great to see you are pursuing your passion. All the best for this and future seasons !!
prakthad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
dougiefresh67
aka Backmarker!

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2006 KLR 650
2004 KXF 400

ur bike and gear remind me of Pasini in Moto2.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Panda View Post
I'd love to be able to do amateur racing eventually. Super inspiring to see someone else doing it. At 31 years old and 6+ feet tall and well over 240 lbs I'm not betting I'll ever have a chance! I'd love to help out if you ever need an extra hand in the so cal area.
Just do it! I know a guy that just started racing last season. He recently retired and I am sure he is right around 240 lbs but he is having the time of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespz03 View Post
You're the best around, nothing's gonna ever keep you down. Best of luck!!
thanks, I am trying to progress a little at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Thanks for sharing! I've always enjoyed riding with people faster than me, it pushes you more than you realize.
This is true.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #18
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
How do you like your custom leathers?
Its the first pair of leathers that I could fit in without having to butter up my thighs . I do wish it was a little more tapered from the knee down but that doesn't bother me much. I am assuming it's designed that way so you can wear them over the boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakthad View Post
Awesome stuff Ivan !! Great to see you are pursuing your passion. All the best for this and future seasons !!
Thanks, we need to get on the track together again.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
Dustin
MRsmacksEM

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
R6 stolen 😢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl zx6 View Post
A lot of good questions Allan.

As of this season I am running about the same lap times as I did last year at ACS with a bike that I am not completely happy with. This past weekend I did run a 1:24:03 at Vegas that's about 2 seconds faster than I did last year. Good thing is i know where i need to improve at that track so I am hoping to dio into the 22's the next time I am there.

Wish i had the extra 37ccs , I am running a stock 600 motor right now. I am planning on switching to a new R6 next year so I don't want to put money into the motor.

Well last year I did pit with a group of friends and we all helped each other so i wasn't completely on my own but running with a team makes things a little more easy. The main reason I joined the team was because I know Mookie has helped develop a lot of top riders. Since he is just getting started again I was extremely lucky to have gotten a spot in the team. I am more of a Replacements rider,... Keanu Reeves back up LOL..

Do you use telemetry ?
I haven't though about investing in a system yet, as of now I would rather buy tires..

My rookie season I had a lot of good competition but I did win a championship. I figured it would be better to be the sacrificial lamb now. I think I can run with that second lead pack by the end of the season so its a goal I wouldn't of aimed for if i had stayed in the novice group.. Even though one of the Novice riders is killing it this year.

I think so because if I do a trackday, I always try to aim for a goal or just work at the stuff that I know i need to get better at. Its also very easy for me to turn off the switch and just go out and have fun with friends in the intermediate groups.

Yes he is still a rider coach and he is also one of the instructors for the Fastrack Academy.

Well my goal is to qualify for one or two MotoAmerica races a year. I don't have any intentions of running a whole season. I don't have the budget and those that are running full seasons are incredibly talented and leagues above my skill level. The 200 would be fun. The qualifying margin is high and is likely why the grid is so full. If the opportunity comes I will take it, for now i have to try to catch up to the rest of the club racers in front of me.
New R6 cant beat em join em
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #20
yup
Forum Supporter
zero given

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR 600
2005 Ninja 650r

so dope man. wishing you the best in safe and continued progress Ivan. I've officially not ridden for almost a year now but seeing you live up to your goals is truly inspiring
Liked this post:

Advertisement