socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Mr. Blue

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390

Tires: Q3+ vs S21

This is a track comparison only - do you prefer Q3+ or S21? Or are they both similar? What kind of pace are you running?

I don't know how it happened but I managed to go a few years without touching the track and reality is setting in that I might not get as serious as I once was and I'm looking to save costs where I can. Having a hard time justifying the slicks/DOT's I'm used to for what's likely an occasional trackday now.

When the Q2's came out I tried them at a slow advanced pace before breaking traction -- I imagine they've only improved since then.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
pelinors714
Forum Supporter

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha YZF-R1
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R (totaled)

havent yet tried the Q3+ on the track, but i have tried the S21's at chuckwalla on my 13 R1. loved the rear. didnt like the front. i felt it slip 2 times and im not fast at all. friend said i could run B group, but i was in C group the whole day and it was my first time at chuckwalla.

Edit: it was about 90-100 degrees last year in april
pelinors714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelinors714 View Post
havent yet tried the Q3+ on the track, but i have tried the S21's at chuckwalla on my 13 R1. loved the rear. didnt like the front. i felt it slip 2 times and im not fast at all. friend said i could run B group, but i was in C group the whole day and it was my first time at chuckwalla.

Edit: it was about 90-100 degrees last year in april
That's a hot day. Do you know what pressures you were running?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
OOTV

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP

I ran the S21s on my 01 VFR and did a few fast pace sport rides and a couple of track days and then I low sided coming off the freeway. My recollection is that they felt good, even up to the point of when I low sided!

I did Chuckwalla and Fontana with no worries. Felt sticky enough to push and no issues with slippage. I will say though, the front didn't really give any feedback when I went down. Came off the freeway off ramp, I looked into the corner, leaned over and next thing you know I was looking at the tarmac! I took them off my VFR and put them on my Ducati 900SS, I don't really push that bike as hard and they seem to be a good fit.

NOTE: The track days were in the colder months, I want to say Nov and Janurary and my crash was in Feb of last year. I was running 32/28 (F/R) at the track and I believe 34/40 on the street when I went down. Honda calls for 36/42 for normal riding. BTW, the VFR is not a light bike!

I have not run the Q3 or Q3+, but I do know a lot of riders who do and they do not seem to have any complaints, nothing but praise actually. The Q2, when I had them on my Ducati, were great, just didn't last that long. I plan to throw a set of Q3+ on the Duc when the Bridgestones wear out though.
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
pelinors714
Forum Supporter

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha YZF-R1
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R (totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
That's a hot day. Do you know what pressures you were running?
im pretty sure i was running 30 cold front and 28 cold rear. i also had traction control on it was my first track day on a liter bike and at chuckwalla.

i just got a set of meltzler k3's and hopefully going to try those out at chuckwalla or buttonwillow sometime soon
pelinors714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

You'll love the K3's. I went from the Supercorsas to K3's. They're cheaper, grip as much and last a little longer.
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Too many variables. Start testing, minus rider aids so you're getting all the feedback from the current situation and setup.

Less margin for error with the street tires, but the smoother you are the less amount of stress on the tire and traction. As long as you're aware and riding accordingly no problem.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

I've haven't ridden in the Q3 plus nor the s21 but I'm that these tires are a lot better than your old Q2s. The Q3 for me was a really good tire that got me to a decent pace in group 2. The plus is supposed to have more edge grip so I'm sure that with either option of tire you'll be fine just keep in mind that you are on street tires when you start picking up the pace.

If you are interested I have a set of DOTs that have 9 laps on them shoot me a PM I'll give them to you for what I got them for.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
Miruri
Rachel

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike

Q3's are my go-to tire for my bikes if I cant afford a set of slicks. I have the Q3+ on the front and the original Q3 on the rear mounted to our CBR and RSV4.

I haven't noticed any significant increase in grip and feel with the Q3+. The improved longevity is evident as the rear was fairly toasted after Willow Springs, and the front is still in excellent shape. I was using 29/27 tire pressure since there was excessive wind and the temp was at 66 degrees. You can get very consistent performance with these tires when the temperature is better, and they held their own against my husband running SC2's+tire warmers.

I have a lot of experience with Dunlop's Q3, and feel they offer a good mixture of grip and wear for the money. I typically run at an A group pace and have only experienced slippage on the rear after the tire has gotten too hot at the end of their life.

I have not had the opportunity to run S21's but S20's were pretty scary to me.
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Guy

Started as a Q3
Ended as a slick

Last edited by Guy; 05-20-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Liked this post:
Old 03-01-2018, 04:19 AM   #11
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Started as a Q3
Ended as a slick
Wow, saved you money...Now you have a full blown racing slick!!!
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
i28
knight who says Ni!

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07

I'm also following this thread as I consider a new set of tires for the streets (and a couple of track days in C group)
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
Guy

Go ahead and get some..

Cyclegear has q3's on sale if you want to save instead of getting some q3+'s.

Last edited by Guy; 05-20-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Liked this post:
Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):

I already bought S21's and TDJ (facebook group) is having a special discount on Q3+. I should just get both and test them for ya'll, huh?
Old 03-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
Guy

A review is pointless because any one persons impression is based on their style, preference and perception.

There are always multpile factors going on at any given time that could give a good or bad point of view.

Same tires that work for one person may be the complete opposite for the next guy.

Definetley try them out and find what feels best for you.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Started as a Q3
Ended as a slick
Not human. I couldn't possibly get it through my head to ride on tires that looked like that. You sir, have my full respect.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #17
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

I am one of the few who hate Q3s.
I don't like the stiff carcass and the way they ride as a result.
I really don't like the way they slip out with no real warning.
I haven't tried the plus version which supposedly has better grip, but I'm sure the carcass is just as unyielding.

I do like the pricing on the Dunlops, though...
Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):

Quote:
A review is pointless because any one persons impression is based on their style, preference and perception.

There are always multpile factors going on at any given time that could give a good or bad point of view.

Same tires that work for one person may be the complete opposite for the next guy.

Definetley try them out and find what feels best for you.
I disagree that it is pointless. Sure, I take most reviews with a grain of salt but there are some hard facts you can't argue like tire profile and stiffness. Also, I'm not familiar with the 'Hypersport' category and I'm genuinely curious what others think who run lower lap times -- I would assume I'm not the only one in that regard.

I'm honestly thinking of yanking my old rain tires off my spare set of wheels and doing a direct caparison: same day, same track, same bike, same rider. At the end of the day you may view it as hogwash, but others might find some value in it, especially when tires are a large expense when it comes to track time.

Or maybe I'll just sit on my couch and continue not riding lol
Liked this post:
Old 03-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #19
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
I disagree that it is pointless. Sure, I take most reviews with a grain of salt but there are some hard facts you can't argue like tire profile and stiffness. Also, I'm not familiar with the 'Hypersport' category and I'm genuinely curious what others think who run lower lap times -- I would assume I'm not the only one in that regard.

I'm honestly thinking of yanking my old rain tires off my spare set of wheels and doing a direct caparison: same day, same track, same bike, same rider. At the end of the day you may view it as hogwash, but others might find some value in it, especially when tires are a large expense when it comes to track time.

Or maybe I'll just sit on my couch and continue not riding lol
I think that would be really cool if you took the time to write that review. It will be extra especial If you can change tires between AM sessions and then change back in the afternoon. That way you get a feel for colder temps too.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #20
Guy

I hear ya but realistically no two setups are alike between bike, rider, setup, conditions, inputs and feedback.

Geometry setup would make different profile tires feel different. Same could be said about sidewall stiffness and tire pressures and tire wear.

Just food for thought.

I don't mean not to review, do what makes you happy.

It wouldn't be the internet without all the opinions hehe.

Advertisement