socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
miles

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Why I like _______ track

I've ridden a fair number of tracks, but not all of them- not by any stretch of the imagination. I have my favorites, though, and I will explain why I like them, and invite the rest of you to give us your opinions on the tracks you've ridden and enjoyed. Let us know specifically what it is that makes that particular track special.

My top three:

1. Thunderhill 5-mile. Thunder hill East (the old, classic part of the track) is all right, but I wouldn't drive all the way up there for just that. The long course, though? It's awesome. Fast and flowing in the East side, tight and technical in the West. The combination of the two sides, along with the crest over the transitions, is complete awesomesauce. A five minute lap time means that 1/2 hour sessions are required, and the extra time out on the track is a bonus.

2. Streets Of Willow. I like this track because it's bumpy, potholed, and has lots of pavement seams in addition to being tight, technical, and demanding. Yes, I know you're all raising your eyebrows at my reasons, but here it is. This track is a lot like my favorite roads, and a good day at Streets does more for your road riding than a nice smooth track ever will.

3. Pahrump Classic N/S course. This track has a wonderful set of turns that really throw a mixed bag at you. Fast, smooth sweepers with immediate transitions to 90 degree turns, for example. Some of the other layouts there are fun, but the classic is still my favorite.

Honorable mention, because now it's closed. Reno-Fernley. Long, long course with about 472 turns, lots of bumps and amazing vertical. A truly bizarre track, but fun while it was still open. I'm hoping it gets revived some day, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Demo_man

Bike(s):
2015 CBR600RR
2014 CBR600RR (crashed)
2005 R6 (Stolen)
2001 SV650 (Sold)
1999 Buel Blast (Sold)

Buttonwillow is tops for me. It’s like my home track.

Streets of willow counter clockwise has really grown on me.

Hope to get out to Parump next year.

Chuckwalla is fun, but I need more practice before it becomes a really fun track.
Demo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

Member Garage Member Garage

Posted before but added the out of state tracks Iíve ridden

1) Thunderhill 5 mile
2) Miller Motorsports Campus- Toole Utah, East and West tracks plus entire perimeter course. European type of track, undulating, flowing, wide, immaculate condition, wide assortment of turns (entry, balanced, exit plus decreasing/increasing radius), breathtaking views
3) Inde Motorsports Ranch, Wilcox, Arizona. Private members only country-club motorsports ranch, a virtual museum of 2 & 4 wheeled race vehicles along with fighter jets littered all over the premises, super-technical 21 turn 2.75 mile track where you spend 60% of the lap on the side of your tire after which you pin it thru the almost 1/2 mile back straight, Motor Trend magazine testing grounds.
4) Laguna Seca
5) Spring Mountain (Nevada-Pahrump)
6) Chuckwalla, Desert Center
7-8) SOW (Streets) and Buttonwillow tied
9) Big Willow
10) Auto Club Speedway

Last edited by D675R; 10-24-2017 at 10:09 PM.
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
RPR

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple R (Street)
2015 Yamaha R3 (Race)

New York Safety Track from when I lived back on the east coast.

18 turns of fast and flowing corners, with 450 feet of elevation change from top to bottom. Set in the woods in upstate new york, every corner is blind because there are trees in the way.

Pavement is smooth and new. If you ever have the chance to ride it, do it!

Bucket list tracks would be Mugello, Phillip Island, and Assen
CVMA #217
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Except for RPR, the rest of you have been doing a terrible job of selling me on your favorite tracks. What is it that you like about them?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Billy O

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
'09 SV650
'99 VTR1000

Laguna Seca is a fabulous track. Lots of altitude variation--good climbs and downhills, great corners--as no two are anything alike, a white-knuckler blind drop-off at the end of the long front straight, and of course the incomparable corkscrew. If you ever get a chance to ride this track--it is everything you thought it might be and more.
Billy O is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement