socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
monkeyfist

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2016 ZX636r
1996 GPZ 1100
1994 RM250r

Dreaming of a Track Day (Suggestions for a Noob)

I recently bought a 2016 ZX6r in July from Corona Motorsports. I started riding motorcycles about 5 years ago on a DR650 in Arizona. I was really into dualsporting and camping off my bike in the local deserts and forests.

A couple years later I bought a 96' GPZ1100 from a buddy, so we could do a ride into Utah and do a 4 day sport touring trip. I had a blast and fell in love with the winding roads.

I recently moved to Corona, CA. I left the dirtbikes in AZ and brought my GPZ with me. I commute to work on the GPZ a couple times a week, but I really wanted something lighter for my weekend rides. I love my ZX6r and have had a lot of fun riding up to Idyllwild and Big Bear.

I don't ever see myself as being the canyon carver that is blasting the twisties twice over the posted sign limit. My goal has always been to go fast at the track and enjoy the canyons for the scenery.

Here are a couple questions I have about a future trackday and hopefully lifestyle:

1. Is it a bad idea to go to the track when I am still paying off my bike? (It will hopefully be paid off by June next year)

2. Should I go out there with the OEM plastics, or is it worth it to invest in a set of track fairings.

3. I rock the aerostich dork suit on the commute and love it. Will I be the only guy out there with the stich, or should I rent a leather suit at the track?

4. I am currently planning on doing the California Superbike school as my first track day, but I saw that some people have done a track day at Buttonwillow with an additional Novice Training. Should I look into doing the school first, or will the novice training get me around the track?

I am currently building a RM250 supermoto to play with on the Kart Tracks in Riverside and Perris, but I don't think anything will compare to riding on a fullsize track.

Thanks for any input. I am really impressed with the forum. It looks like a great community of riders.
monkeyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
miles

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

1. Go for it. I mean, you have insurance, right? Do your best not to crash.

2. Don't buy track plastics unless you want to use it solely as a track bike.

3. Rock the 'stich. Almost all track day organizers allow them in the beginner group. That said, a good set of leathers doesn't have to be expensive, and will provide more protection than Andy Goldfine's best can do.

4. Honestly, you could go either way. The advantage of a track day before the school is that you pop your track cherry in a lower-stress environment and then the you do the school all you will have to do is lay back and enjoy it. The novice school most providers have will teach you the basics and get you started, but it won't come anywhere near as good a training as the CSS will.
If you choose to go straight to CSS, you'll learn everything you would have done on that first track day, plus a lot more and you'll save the $179 (or whatever) the track day cost. It'll just be slightly more stressful.

And you are correct- Supermoto track days are an entirely different animal from big track days.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Member Garage Member Garage

^ What he said.

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
jamespz03

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F

1. If you take a rider school, that might cover the insurance since it's training.

3. I was the only guy with textile when I went. I felt out of place but no one said a word. After seeing some low slides, I'm buying leathers. It's one less thing to worry about and I want the protection. By all
means wear it and see how it goes.

I've only done one track day and only been riding for 18 months so I'm simply providing my opinions.

Good luck and have fun!!
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
Miruri
Rachel

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike

Come to Big Willow with 2 Wheel Track Days, or Button Willow with Trackdaz. Both are in November, and you'll have forum members there for company.
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
monkeyfist

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2016 ZX636r
1996 GPZ 1100
1994 RM250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruri View Post
Come to Big Willow with 2 Wheel Track Days, or Button Willow with Trackdaz. Both are in November, and you'll have forum members there for company.

That would be awesome. I am going to try line something up early next year after the company bonus goes through. I will check out both those companies though and try to line up a day when other members are going.

Maybe I could show up to the track day and help pit. It would be nice to see how everything is run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
kojiiro
Forum Supporter

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2016 R25

Be careful on that insurance. I know usaa would not cover a track day lowside. After that I actually went to see what companies would cover an accident at the track. I don’t think Geico will either.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

What Track???
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Diescrap95

Bike(s):
2017 ZX10R

Maybe we should plan something for Laguna Seca next year....that's would be something memorable. Bucket list worthy!
Diescrap95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

I'm in for Laguna!!
Only been there in a car
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
Tonybeau

Bike(s):
2018 Tuono
2015 CBR1000RR
2006 R6 Track Bike
2005 CRF450X
2011 KTM 300XC Smoker

I'd be up for Laguna!
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

I can't do Laguna. My bike is too loud.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #13
Diescrap95

Bike(s):
2017 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
I can't do Laguna. My bike is too loud.
My buddy is trying to figure out how to get his RC-51 to pass that sound level requirement, he's running a 2-1 Jardine "shorty" can Its one of the reason I kept my stock pipes on...it's so "ninja" quiet...lol.
Diescrap95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Jardine? Second loudest pipes ever.

The rule at Laguna is if it's a stock pipe, three strikes and you're out. A slip-on, two and done. A full race pipe you get no warning. One infraction and your extremely expensive track day is over.

A track day at Laguna Seca runs me about a thousand bucks, all told, and I'm just not in a hurry to spend that kind of bank for maybe two or three sessions.

I could have a custom baffle made for my exhaust, but that'll just add a couple of hundred bucks to the cost...

Now, all that said, it is worth doing Laguna Seca at least once, and as rgbeard keeps pointing out, sooner or later that track is going to be shut down, so get it while you can.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

Thunderhill is way better than Laguna. If your bent on doing Laguna (for the bucket list), rent a stock bike trackside. When I was there, they had R3ís and CBR600RRís for rent.
One persistent mistake I see riders make when trying to ride faster: Using too much lean, too late in the corner, well after the apex of a turn. This is precisely where you want to be on the gas not increasing lean. Remedy: use reference points for tip in and use a strong countersteer input to quickly flick the bike to max lean at tip in
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #16
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Thunderhill 5-mile is my favorite track ever.

Advertisement