socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Member Garage Member Garage

Trackday Goals for 2018?

What are your goals for 2018?

Do you have new tracks to try?
Do you want more time in at the track?
List your goals here!

For myself, it's simply to get back to the track since my unfortunate incident in Sep 2016.

After that, I have a goal to do at least three track days this year.
I want one of these to be in NorCal. (either Sonoma or Laguna)
I'd love to end 2018 with my trackday skills to be approaching what they were before.

What are your goals??

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
jamespz03

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F

My goals are to attend two track days, one at Chuck and the other TBD. I want to work on BP and just get smoother so I get faster.
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Tonybeau

Bike(s):
2018 Tuono
2015 CBR1000RR
2006 R6 Track Bike
2005 CRF450X
2011 KTM 300XC Smoker

To try and get as many track days in as possible. Ideally 1 a month but will depend on other commitments.
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

My first track day in 2018. Laguna has two day event Sat/Sun in July. Planning on that one for sure. Hit local tracks first.
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Learn.....
Learn.....
Learn.....

I need to drop 2 seconds per lap at Auto club, Buttonwillow, and Las Vegas.

Willow springs on the other hand I need to improve a whole lot, maybe around 7 seconds. That track is just too scary for me lol.

I would also like to do more trackdays with the SCS group. just go out and have some fun and learn from each other.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pearl zx6; 12-27-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

1) Drop 10 seconds or more more per lap at Autoclub. Get myself into level 3 with Fastrack.
2) Drive in faster-harder into turn 2 at Big Willow. Ditto turn 1 and 8 at Buttonwillow.
3) Sign up for some advanced coaching at various tracks.
4) Dirtrack more often
5) Improve my vision, lines, throttle management, finesse on the brakes, fine tune BP, work on using better reference pts and develop seamless rapid downshifts.
6) Transition to an A group rider at all trackday events as A group is the safest place to be. B group has too much drama with predictablity because of a few rogue riders.
7) Develop a more point-and-shoot style so I can lengthen the straights & spend more time at full throttle !!
8) Get my over to Sonoma
9) Get better at wheelies
10) Make wise investment decisions in 2018 for capital gains as disposable money is the fuel that is needed to transform my wishes into reality. This is an expensive hobby and it takes money & commitment of time to excel.

I wish everyone success at reaching their goals in 2018 who posts on this tread !!!

Last edited by D675R; 12-27-2017 at 06:15 PM.
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

My track day goals are simple: At least half a dozen this year, starting on Jan 6 at Chuckwalla.

Among the half dozen will be at least one NorCal day, preferably at the Thunderhill full course.

I'd also like to hit up at least one track that's new to me this year, but that will mean a fair bit of travel.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
Aphex

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Super Duke 990

Gonna focus on mini moto this year.

At least two track days a month.

Get comfortable sliding the front on entry.

Get comfortable sliding the rear ( going to be a lot of time spent in the dirt with a dirt tire on the front and slick on the back).

More flat track.
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
i28
knight who says Ni!

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07

I've only got one track day under my belt but these are my goals:
1. Get more miles under my belt and then get some proper training.
2. Feel safe at the track. Only issue I had with my first track day was not knowing when I was pushing too hard (beyond my skills).
3. Hopefully I can hit a couple of track days (once I figure out how to get my bike there if my buddy isn't joining)
4. Try flat tracking or mini bike racing.
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
bonestock

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2010 Honda 600rr

To actually get out there. Have all the gear. Just need the time
bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
Gonna focus on mini moto this year.

At least two track days a month.

Get comfortable sliding the front on entry.

Get comfortable sliding the rear ( going to be a lot of time spent in the dirt with a dirt tire on the front and slick on the back).

More flat track.
You are way more advanced than me, what are the benefits of sliding the front on entry? If the front even moves around on me a tiny bit I take it as a sign that I'm not being as smooth as I can be.

I went to the Eric Bostrom slide school recently and they used the same set up on the dirt bikes Dirt tire in the front and the street tire on the rear. It was fun but since I had never ridden a dirt bike in my life before it took me the whole day to figure out the sitting position. Most of the day I spent my time on the wrong side of the saddle and sometimes off the saddle. Over all it was a nice experience. I think I have to get more comfortable on a dirt bike before I go back.

Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
Aphex

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Super Duke 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl zx6 View Post
You are way more advanced than me, what are the benefits of sliding the front on entry? If the front even moves around on me a tiny bit I take it as a sign that I'm not being as smooth as I can be.

I went to the Eric Bostrom slide school recently and they used the same set up on the dirt bikes Dirt tire in the front and the street tire on the rear. It was fun but since I had never ridden a dirt bike in my life before it took me the whole day to figure out the sitting position. Most of the day I spent my time on the wrong side of the saddle and sometimes off the saddle. Over all it was a nice experience. I think I have to get more comfortable on a dirt bike before I go back.

Haha I doubt that. These little bikes give you the confidence to try things that I would never have the courage to attempt on my bike.

I don't think sliding the front is something I'll ever be able to transfer to big bikes since the way I've seen people go about it is to just brake late and hard then throw the bike down til you're on your knee and allowing the front to slide with the rear to point you at the corner exit faster. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that but not many people that are fast are very good at explaining why they're fast (those that are get paid good money for it). Most of the time I just hear "use less brakes" which riding these minis has really let me push that and just go faster with less brakes in sections of the track I would have been myself previously.

Thanks for dropping Eric Bostrom's school, I was all set to head out to Texas for Rich Olivers Mystery School but if I can do something similar right here in City of Industry even better. I started riding dirt at 12 and stopped at 21 when I got my M1, this is making me wish I would have kept at it and gotten into flat track haha.
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
TheoreticalApx

Bike(s):
2007 ZX6R

Improve my body position. It has been getting better from what it was but it still needs work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheoreticalApx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
LAZO818

I need to work on coasting less into corners and being more consistent in opening WOT on corner exits.
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #15
kojiiro
Forum Supporter

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2016 R25

I started 2017 track days in April. Did & track days last year. First lap I recorded in April or May was 1:52. I’m down to 1:36 as my fastest with an average of 1:38.

Goal this year is to hit 1:20 on my 250. My friend runs 1:10 on his Tuono. I think 1:20 is a realistic goal. I’ve been using Ken Hill coaching podcasts, Dave Moss material, anayzing my laps with Harry’s lap timer, and think I have a pretty solid game plan. This guy here runs at the same track as I do and he looks to be flying on his 250.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement