socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
KNR1
Kris

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2016 Yamaha R1
89 Suzuki GS 650 1st bike
85 Yamaha Virago 1000 2nd
02 Yamaha R1 3rd
11 Yamaha R1

Member Garage Member Garage

Exhaust systems.. California

So I was on Revilla's website and on all the exhaust systems that had all of had this little fun fact (This product is legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used, registered or licensed for use upon a highway).. can anyone explain this to me.. it doesn't matter if it's a slip on or not.

Thanks
KNR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Read through this.....
https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2014/0...lifornia-bike/

I had an issue trying to get a quickshifter shipped to California this past month.

RGbeard is going to suggest that we should all just move to Arizona or south of the border to avoid getting ticketed for a slip on.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl zx6 View Post
Read through this.....
https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2014/0...lifornia-bike/

I had an issue trying to get a quickshifter shipped to California this past month.

RGbeard is going to suggest that we should all just move to Arizona or south of the border to avoid getting ticketed for a slip on.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Itís all about ABC. Anywhere but California.

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

CHP can give you a ticket for any mod to your exhaust in CA. Even slipon..
panigale is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
KNR1
Kris

Bike(s):
2016 Yamaha R1
89 Suzuki GS 650 1st bike
85 Yamaha Virago 1000 2nd
02 Yamaha R1 3rd
11 Yamaha R1

Alright... Hmm I'll risk it.
KNR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
groran

Bike(s):
09 Hayabusa,17 BMW1000RR,10 Goldwing,05 Yamaha 400 dirt

Yep, first question from chp, is that an after market exhaust? Next words are your headlights are they stock? No mods are allowed, no extra lights, no nothing. But if it were me, I would take the chance and if caught, they may give a warning along with you have to change back to stock, go show them at the chp cave, then ticket tore up. But hey, there aren't many of them out there. I rarely see them over here in cal city, lancaster, palmdale area. Most people haul over here. Average speed on the 14 is 85-90, I kid you not.
groran is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

If you ride Palomar or Ortega or maybe snake where CHP have dedicated patrols they look for exhaust, OEM mirrors, rear license tidy's, side and fork reflectors and even smoked windscreens. They will ticket you even with bar end mirrors if they want. There is a law requiring a certain amount of sq inches of mirrors. If your just riding streets and freeways I doubt you'll have an issue.
panigale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
OOTV

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP

All of my bikes have aftermarket exhaust and so far never had an issue (Knock on wood). Then again Iím not revving my engine at stop lights or winding out in every gear like Iím trying to get the whole shot...well, usually
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

Same. In my short time in CA (3 1/2 years) I've been running around this whole time up north in the bay area on my old R1 with aftermarket exhaust and even down here passing a few CHP cars on Ortega on my FZ with Graves cat eliminator kit with the sound insert removed. It's pretty loud, Graves website says 109db at 5K RPM

I think if you're riding around being a , you'll be more likely to get hassled. They generally have better to deal with.
Not saying it won't or doesn't happen. I just wouldn't worry about it too much.
Just keep your stock exhaust, if you get a ticket then throw it back on.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

Another reason to not ride the dangerous streets of Socal and be a track only rider. Safer and you are not a victim of the asinine laws of this state. Hopefully our great President Trump can succeed in rescinding all the awful California state laws on noise and pollution. Body slam communist Jerry Brown to the mat. If Trump can pull us out of the Paris Agreement (an agreement within the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, dealing with greenhouse-gas-emissions mitigation) unilaterally, there is hope he can bust up our draconian California pollution standards which is a drag on the automobile and motorcycle industries. MAGA !

Last edited by D675R; 08-13-2018 at 08:09 PM.
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
BMW-K

Bike(s):
F800GS
Triumph 765 RS
WR250R

I’m not going to bother to mention how many times I’ve been pulled over...I’ve never had one officer comment on my exhaust or my lights (*except one who was really quite impressed). And to be honest, the lighting I run is, well, obscene.

The simple truth is, if you are respectful and appropriate, officers will generally treat you similarly. If they want to ticky-tack every line item the odds are you deserved it. You were doing something really bad...like a standup wheelie while lane splitting.

Or you lipped off to the officer and they decided to demonstrate a lesson to you.

I remember one ride, coming home late, late at night after a 1,000 mile day. Rolling out of Huntington Beach a Moto CHP pulled up along side me...the full carbon open race exhaust on my R1100RSL blatting away and HID lights eliminating any sense of night in front me at 2am. CHP checks the bike over, stem to stern, looks at me in my hi-viz Aerostich and give me the nod and rolls off.

Shorts and flip flops and I’d have been likely tackled and thrown to the ground. Instead, I’m some dude in proper gear being safe.

So, who do you want the CHP to see you as? Hoodlum? Or Rider? There’s a difference and they can see it.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
CHP checks the bike over, stem to stern, looks at me in my hi-viz Aerostich and give me the nod and rolls off.
I've noticed this when I made the transition to a hi-viz-ADV-rider. Sure, I make 'better' decisions than when I was street riding a sportybike but now I'm pretty sure cops think: "no way my radar gun is correct nor does this rider have an aftermarket exhaust, that's clearly an experienced rider out for a casual ride"
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
thtanner
VFR Rider

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
14 VFR800 FE
98 VFR800 FI
86 Vulcan 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTV View Post
All of my bikes have aftermarket exhaust and so far never had an issue (Knock on wood). Then again Iím not revving my engine at stop lights or winding out in every gear like Iím trying to get the whole shot...well, usually
Bikes built on Jan 1 2013 and after require exhausts with the little EPA sound level markings on them. Yours are 09 and under, so you have a bit more leeway technically.

Quote:
Violators face fines of up to $100 for a first offense and up to $250 for subsequent offenses. California Judges have the discretion to dismiss the fine for first-time offenders if the violation is corrected.

Also, a violation is considered a secondary offense, meaning a police officer canít stop a motorcyclist solely because the officer believes the motorcyclist is breaking the sound emissions label law.
In addition, California has motorcycle sound limits, by manufacture year.

Quote:
Year | Street | OHV
1970-1972 | 88 dBA | 92 dBA
1973-1974 | 86 dBA | 88 dBA
1975-1985 | 83 dBA | 86 dBA
1986-2012 | 80 dBA | 82 dBA
thtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #14
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

ABC.

Not sayin'. Just sayin'.

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #15
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Arizona statutes:

28-955.01. Motorcycles; noise level equipment; unauthorized equipment

A. A person shall not operate or as an owner permit the operation of a motorcycle in this state that is not equipped with the manufacturer's original muffler or other original noise reduction equipment or with a replacement muffler or replacement noise reduction equipment capable of reducing the noise levels below the maximum operating noise levels established by the department pursuant to section 28-955.02.

So- same , different state.

As has been pointed out, these rules are rarely enforced. The only time I've ever actually seen anybody written up for an aftermarket exhaust is when the police are doing some sort of "public nuisance" sweep at a place like Mother's or the Rock House (or Alice's up by Santa Cruz). The cops will roll in and ticket pretty much every single bike in the parking lot, because all of us have some sort of violation on our bikes.

They do this because the bikes have been such a pain in the to locals that complaints have gotten out of hand and so the cops want to discourage hang-out type of behavior.

As far as getting written up on the side of the road for an aftermarket exhaust? Unless the cop is in an extremely bad mood it just doesn't happen.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
Pete_G

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'14 Triumph Daytona 675
'11 CBR600rr red/black (totaled)
'07 CBR600rr all black (sold)
'04 Suzuki SV650s (sold)
'02 Ninja 250r (sold)

I've had ONE cop ask me about my exhaust, and it was recently. He asked me if the exhaust was aftermarket (its an Arrow slip-on on my Daytona 675) and I simply said no. It came from the dealership like this (which is a "partial truth"). He said ok, and that was the end of that conversation. He did tell me to make my license plate more visible, and that was the end of it.

Advertisement