socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

Slow board, Interesting story time

I stopped at Miner's Diner in Julian today for lunch. I'm sitting at the "bar" by myself, It's fairly busy. A (IMO) kind of strange, unattractive, somewhat heavy lady and her 2 young daughters (under 12) came up and took the 3 stools to my left. I moved my stool slightly to the right to give them some space.
About 10 minutes later, I'm in the middle of eating and the lady says "Sir, thank you for moving over for my daughters to give us more room, that was very nice of you" I said "Of course, no problem" and took another bite. Then she looks down at my A* riding jacket hanging off the back of my chair and says "my late-husband had that same jacket" (It's a brand new 2018 model line, but ok) I looked at her..and here it comes "He died riding his motorcycle, ride safe on your way home"

I can understand the message...but do you need to say that to a stranger who's riding and in front of your own young daughters? Tact?

All I said was "I'm sorry to hear that" and just got on with my day. The waitress behind the bar even gave this look of "wtf".

Ok, just sharing!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
jamespz03

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F

Member Garage Member Garage

Yeah, can’t you just say ride safe or be careful out there? Love the miner diner potatoes.
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Odd encounters on rides? Here's one of mine.

Years ago, a friend of mine and I did a lap around the Grand Canyon. My friend rode a Kawasaki ZX-6 and lived in Long Beach. I live in San Diego and rode a 2004 Triumph Speed Triple (last year for the 955).

Anyhow, on the return leg of the trip we decided to part ways in Needless. He would head west on I-10, and I was going to cut southwest through the desert from there back to SD County.

Our timing was terrible- it was the Sunday of the River Run, so there were thousands and thousands of Harley guys trying to ride their bikes home (well, the ones that didn't trailer, anyway).

So, south of Needless is the only gas stop for miles in any direction at a place called Vidal Junction. When I pulled up there must have been at least fifty bikers either standing around or waiting to gas up at the one double-sided pump.

I got in line, and since it was hot I took off my helmet as I sat astride my bike. After a few minutes this guy with a leather vest over his scruffy denim jacket came up and looked at my bike.
"Triumph, huh?" He asked. "Doesn't look like any Triumph I ever seen before."
I explained that the brand had come back to life a few years before and we're back to making bikes again, including new, modern models like my Speed Triple.
I was a little put off by how close he was standing, and how oddly interested he was in my bike and me.
It dawned on me that this dude was hitting on me, right there while I was waiting my turn for gas.
"Look, I hate to be rude, but I'm just not interested," I told him, indicating he should shove off, giving him a leave me alone glare.
He got the hint that I didn't swing the way he would have liked and turned to leave.

That was the moment I realized I'd been wrong- he wasn't gay and trying to get in my leathers. No, when he turned to go I saw the big "Bikers For Jesus" patch on his vest.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Odd encounters on rides? Here's one of mine.
Gay or religious, I would of had the same reaction Miles!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2002 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

Still could have been gay.
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

socalsportbikes.org be like...

Old 11-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2002 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

Forums, the sheep are on Facebook only talking to the people the algorithm tells them to. Identity politics, identity internet anybody that does not agree with you is the enemy free and open discourse is to be avoided. Challenge someone to think and they disappear into the void. Ocmoto is a tumbleweed also, they used to have rides with 100 riders now 3 or 4 is a good turnout same here.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Personally, I blame the loss of Alex. He was the glue that stuck this place together.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
ZXTOM

Bike(s):
17 GSX-R750
KTM500EXC
14 V-Strom 1000
KX250F

Some people's kids
ZXTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Mike View Post
Gay or religious, I would of had the same reaction Miles!
@Miles - You got a blip on your 'gay-dar.'

Last edited by hbwesman; 11-19-2018 at 07:39 AM.
hbwesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390

Mike, I lost my dad in my early 20's and sometimes people tell me their happiness or frustrations with their parents and I say something along the lines of "cherish every moment, you never know how long you have with the ones you love". Kinda morbid when I reflect on it now, but something I wish people told me more. As bikers, we knowingly accept risk every time we throw a leg over, but often times we can become complacent with our 2-wheeled adventures. It sounds like you reminded this woman of her late-husband and she emotionally wished you a safe journey.

Emotions make people do odd things, often without thinking. It sounds like you handled it well, but if she said that to me, I'd probably pause to say something like "Thank you. Motorcycles sure are dangerous but I wouldn't want to live without them. I will be sure to ride safely". Maybe that would remind her that her husband probably died doing something he loved and he wouldn't be "him" without a motorcycle in his life.

And maybe... just maybe... I wouldn't wheelie out of that diner parking lot...
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Mike, I lost my dad in my early 20's and sometimes people tell me their happiness or frustrations with their parents and I say something along the lines of "cherish every moment, you never know how long you have with the ones you love". Kinda morbid when I reflect on it now, but something I wish people told me more. As bikers, we knowingly accept risk every time we throw a leg over, but often times we can become complacent with our 2-wheeled adventures. It sounds like you reminded this woman of her late-husband and she emotionally wished you a safe journey.

Emotions make people do odd things, often without thinking. It sounds like you handled it well, but if she said that to me, I'd probably pause to say something like "Thank you. Motorcycles sure are dangerous but I wouldn't want to live without them. I will be sure to ride safely". Maybe that would remind her that her husband probably died doing something he loved and he wouldn't be "him" without a motorcycle in his life.

And maybe... just maybe... I wouldn't wheelie out of that diner parking lot...
Good points. I think it was more that is was said in front of her young children, kind of threw me off. Plus, literally a mouth full of burger didn't help either! I have been lucky enough to have not experienced losing anyone really close to me yet at this stage in life. So, you're right. I don't know how it might affect others.

She was odd though

Last edited by Colorado Mike; 11-19-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Colorado Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #13
Sv650mike

Bike(s):
1999 Suzuki Sv650N

Oc moto sucks. The mods use it as their personal ego boost. Squid site that promoted shady shops run by convicted felons and convicted thieves. That place is the armpit of motorcycle culture.
Sv650mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2002 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

All 10 of us that still post there were not there in the beginning and the moderators barely have anything to do. But hang on to the past if it give up someone to hate.

By the way in recent years the old guard complained that the atgatt, anti stunt responsible riders were the death of the board.

Anyway the point was all forum trafic is way down.

Advertisement