socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #41
thepretender

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2002 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

After finding out exactly why glove have palm sliders now gloves without them seem useless.
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #42
zrx12dan

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1
2002 Kawasaki ZX12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
A convert to the church of wearing your gear. Sandals, shorts and no gloves, but does have a camera. You can watch the skin get flayed off his body in real time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk3jeTsH...otor_severler1
Ouch, that's going to leave a mark. I'll admit watching that gave me a bit of pucker.
zrx12dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #43
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

My nuts hurt in the middle of watching that! ! ........seriously, my Planters pistachios I was eating really hurt as I bit down in angst. I think I now have to switch to cashews.
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #44
OOTV

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP

One of the biggest lessons I learned from not wearing gear was when I went down hill riding on a skateboard. We were hitting speeds near 45 MPH and the board I was on started to speed wobble, next thing you know, I was air borne and flying with arms out and doing my best Super Man impression.

Upon hitting the ground, my palms were the first casualty, then my elbows, stomach, then knees! I did a tuck and roll from there and probably spared myself further injury but did that hurt and it kept hurting for several weeks afterward too! After that incident, I began to wear my safety gear pretty much every time from then on, not always but a majority of the time.

However, when on my motorcycle, I was always ATGATT, maybe not with the most up to date and protective of gear, I at least covered myself as best I could. To this day, that was the worst time I ever experienced from a crash, even when crashing on my ATV/motorcycles (mostly crashed in the dirt until just a couple of years ago). Knowing that my speeds could/would be greater than that 45 MPH skateboard crash, I was never going to take a chance again on getting road rash.

I agree with thepretender, gloves that don't have palm sliders seem like they are lacking in protection. I prefer the Knox Style SPS setup, which a few manufacturers have licensed but will consider other styles of palm sliders over none at all.
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #45
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTV View Post
One of the biggest lessons I learned from not wearing gear was when I went down hill riding on a skateboard. We were hitting speeds near 45 MPH and the board I was on started to speed wobble, next thing you know, I was air borne and flying with arms out and doing my best Super Man impression.

Upon hitting the ground, my palms were the first casualty, then my elbows, stomach, then knees! I did a tuck and roll from there and probably spared myself further injury but did that hurt and it kept hurting for several weeks afterward too! After that incident, I began to wear my safety gear pretty much every time from then on, not always but a majority of the time.

However, when on my motorcycle, I was always ATGATT, maybe not with the most up to date and protective of gear, I at least covered myself as best I could. To this day, that was the worst time I ever experienced from a crash, even when crashing on my ATV/motorcycles (mostly crashed in the dirt until just a couple of years ago). Knowing that my speeds could/would be greater than that 45 MPH skateboard crash, I was never going to take a chance again on getting road rash.

I agree with thepretender, gloves that don't have palm sliders seem like they are lacking in protection. I prefer the Knox Style SPS setup, which a few manufacturers have licensed but will consider other styles of palm sliders over none at all.
Similar experience here. I can still see the scars from my youthful downhill skateboarding NGE (no gear ever) days, albeit from much slower than 45 mph. It doesn't take much speed for pavement to instantly peel/burn off flesh, although some people want to keep testing the facts.
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #46
BMW-K

Bike(s):
F800GS
Triumph 765 RS
WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
BMW-K and I spent a month riding around the Eastern Canadian provinces of Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador.

On days with nice weather, most riders we saw were fully geared up- full-face helmets, leathers or decent textiles top and bottom, good boots, and no gloves.

In fact, yesterday on Palomar I saw a guy on a Yamaha Super Ten with Quebec plates fully geared up, but no gloves.
It was surreal - the Canada thing. It didnít seem to matter what bike people were on, just no gloves. Regardless of not crashing...the sunburn on the back of the hands would be enough to keep me wearing gloves every time!

As an aside, having crashed twice and burned once I can say I was glad each and every time to be in full gear head to toe. I donít even want to think how much worse it would have been without.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #47
Pete_G

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'14 Triumph Daytona 675
'11 CBR600rr red/black (totaled)
'07 CBR600rr all black (sold)
'04 Suzuki SV650s (sold)
'02 Ninja 250r (sold)

Member Garage Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
I donít even want to think how much worse it would have been without.
I felt exactly the same way after my wreck. I even remember the paramedic
commenting, "Dude, it was a good thing you've got all this stuff on, otherwise we'd be scraping bits of you off the road, and bits of the road out of you."

Advertisement