socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Miruri
Rachel
 
Miruri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 919

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike







Practicing Braking made me Slower!

I have been working on my braking skills for the past two months. I really believe I have gotten a good feel for trail braking and taking a liter bike right up to the apex in a controlled fashion, but I think it has made me slower...

I was wondering if any of you have experienced a similar scenario when you have focused on improving your braking? Also what did you do to get your corner entry speed back to where it was with confidence before you started over slowing/controlling your corner entry?

I kind of wonder if this is just me recognizing how different my riding style has developed to suit the RSV4 over the CBR. I used to hop on both bakes the same day and think no difference in how I approached corners.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject and especially get opinions from those of us who ride liter bikes and 600's at the track.
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
OOTV
Senior Member
 
OOTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 115

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP







I found that if I concentrate on one particular task, it does take away from a more "natural" riding rhythm and that in turn, slows me down. When I was at the track recently, I did notice that I was actually slowing down well before the turn in but that I was trail braking closer to the apex. Once I felt I had the motion down, I eventually increased my speed into the corner i.e. braking later, knowing I could trail brake further into the corner and actually have a faster exit.

I did take a few laps around the track and I was concentrating mostly on one particular corner but once I felt confident that I had the trail braking down, I went into "auto mode" and let the rhythm flow more naturally and increased my speed in and through the corner. Ultimately, smoother is faster but getting smoother sometimes works better when slowing your pace, so you feel more confident about what you're doing, then when success happens, you can usually increase your speed. At least that is what I find that I do and works well for me.
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Mr. Blue
Senior Member
 
Mr. Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Eagle Rock
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 387

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390






Let me make one thing very clear: thinking you are slower and having hard data proving you are slower are two very different things. Just because you think it's slower does not mean you are, in fact, slower.

When I went from my trusty R6 to a GSXR 1000 for a 2 seasons I also found I was cornering some sections slower which I attributed to the higher speeds gained on faster sections of the track. I was coming into some corners faster than I was comfortable/familiar with and my focus was almost entirely on slowing down fast enough to manage the turn. It was something I had to work through, managing the higher speeds with finding the proper corner entry and just generally getting more comfortable with it. Typically, following faster people helped me to accomplish this. This is my experience because like always YMMV.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!
 
D675R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Studio City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 370

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R



Member Garage Member Garage




You are going slower because you extended your braking distance without increasing your entry pace. So at the end of your braking zone, you have over slowed !!

Drive it into the corner faster !!! Donít be a wus, hold the gas to the stop for an extra second or two. Thatís how trail braking makes you faster. You can run in faster than if you donít trail brake. Be brave, try it. Evil grin 😏

Last edited by D675R; 06-26-2018 at 01:19 PM.
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Pete_G
Senior Member
 
Pete_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 446

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'14 Triumph Daytona 675
'11 CBR600rr red/black (totaled)
'07 CBR600rr all black (sold)
'04 Suzuki SV650s (sold)
'02 Ninja 250r (sold)

Member Garage Member Garage




I need to get to the track.
__________________
Ride safe.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
Miruri
Rachel
 
Miruri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 919

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike







Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTV View Post
Ultimately, smoother is faster but getting smoother sometimes works better when slowing your pace, so you feel more confident about what you're doing, then when success happens, you can usually increase your speed. At least that is what I find that I do and works well for me.
What you mentioned is very true, and I have also experienced that trade off of being on a machine that can allow me to go deeper into turns. Maybe it is just recognizing the balance required to make both exercises more efficient?
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
Miruri
Rachel
 
Miruri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 919

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike







Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Let me make one thing very clear: thinking you are slower and having hard data proving you are slower are two very different things. Just because you think it's slower does not mean you are, in fact, slower.
I really like your point about perception. My recent experience comes from riding in the local canyons (GMR specifically) on the Aprilia. There are two guys who are amazing on R3's and I got to see some footage of me approaching corners. I "looked" slow, but I recall I was also putting a decent amount of effort to stay ahead of them which only lasted for a short while
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Miruri
Rachel
 
Miruri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 919

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike







Quote:
Originally Posted by D675R View Post
You are going slower because you extended your braking distance without increasing your entry pace. So at the end of your braking zone, you have over slowed !!

Drive it into the corner faster !!! Donít be a wus, hold the gas to the stop for an extra second or two. Thatís how trail braking makes you faster. You can run in faster than if you donít trail brake. Be brave, try it. Evil grin 😏
I most certainly will at Button Willow in July! I have yet to master the first turn coming off the front straight going clockwise. Supposedly Dave Moss says you should be on your brakes once you pass the tires on the left hand side of the track. That is such a short distance to get a bike going from 140mph controlled without having some fun woobly action from the rear wheel. I will tell you how it goes!
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
Pearl zx6
Still Slow
 
Pearl zx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,724


Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by D675R View Post
You are going slower because you extended your braking distance without increasing your entry pace. So at the end of your braking zone, you have over slowed !!

Drive it into the corner faster !!! Don’t be a wus, hold the gas to the stop for an extra second or two. That’s how trail braking makes you faster. You can run in faster than if you don’t trail brake. Be brave, try it. Evil grin ��


except don't hold the throttle for a second or two longer. I like to work with markers. Just move the marker by small increments once you get comfortable with your previous marker.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruri View Post
I most certainly will at Button Willow in July! I have yet to master the first turn coming off the front straight going clockwise. Supposedly Dave Moss says you should be on your brakes once you pass the tires on the left hand side of the track. That is such a short distance to get a bike going from 140mph controlled without having some fun woobly action from the rear wheel. I will tell you how it goes!
I will be there to see you succeed. funny how today was the first day that I noticed the tires on the left side because I read this the night before.
I try to get on the brakes once i get to the paved road to the right, keep in mind I am on a 600 so the top speed is not as crazy.

Last edited by Pearl zx6; 07-02-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Miruri
Rachel
 
Miruri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 919

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike







[QUOTE=Pearl zx6;381273I will be there to see you succeed. funny how today was the first day that I noticed the tires on the left side because I read this the night before.[/QUOTE]

What days will you be at button willow? I typically pick the pavement to the right as well as my first braking marker. Iím still debating if I want to take the CBR or the Aprilia to this track. We will be there later this month on the 15-17 I canít recall specifically which day though.
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Pearl zx6
Still Slow
 
Pearl zx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,724


Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruri View Post
What days will you be at button willow? I typically pick the pavement to the right as well as my first braking marker. Iím still debating if I want to take the CBR or the Aprilia to this track. We will be there later this month on the 15-17 I canít recall specifically which day though.
sorry for the late response. I will be at BW next weekend .

https://www.socalsportbikes.org/foru...d.php?t=459036
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Advertisement



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 AM.


socalsportbikes.org is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy