socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Mr. Blue

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390

Case of the Mondays

My emotions got the best of me on my way into work this morning. I like to think I'm very level headed but unfortunately I guess I'm human and did some things I regret:

1. Came behind a few bikes while lane sharing that were stuck behind a guy on a Harley (883?). Harley would not move to allow others to pass and eventually the other bikes left to take their exits leaving me behind the guy. While continuing to lane-share I followed him for another few miles and he seemed clueless there was anyone behind him. When there was a clear opportunity for him to move I gave him a quick "roadrunner" style BEEP-BEEP of the horn. No response. Can he not hear? Another opportunity came so I did it again. And then once more. Ok now I think he got it bc he started shaking his head. Is he ok? Is that directed at me? Again, BEEP-BEEP, ok that was definitely at me - takes hand off throttle and gives the finger. So I decide to wait it out and when traffic cleared up he went WOT (lots of noise, not a lot of speed) and I went by him and gave him a thumbs down. Then I thought, "maybe I am the bad guy here, maybe he's not comfortable lane sharing... but why did he feel comfortable enough to remove his hand from the throttle to give me the finger?"

2. Then I'm filtering up to a stoplight near work when an Uber driver (or someone with an Uber sticker and 2 people in the backseat) moves over blocking my path just enough with his mirror. I'm next to his driver's window and he rolls window down with an upset look and says something. I can't hear him but asked what the problem was if I go by (I was coming up behind him so I couldn't have upset him elsewhere). Again, I can't hear him and I have no idea if he heard me. So here's my BIG mistake, I gently tuck in his mirror with my hand to get by and the dude loses it and I'm like "oh great, now I'm going to get run over". Luckily, he had tons of room in front of him so he floors it and turns where he almost hits another car to make sure he blocks my path. I backup to make some space and search for an out. Light turns green and I get the heck away from him. I definitely handled that poorly.

So take it from me...take a deep breath and just wait patiently. Although I was thinking "do you mind if I go by" and "not sure what's up so I'm just gonna tuck your mirror for a sec to clear my bars" clearly they were not perceived that way.

I try to act appropriately so people don't look negatively on motorcyclists and I feel like I royally screwed up this morning. I will take this as a learning experience and hope my story can remind everyone to keep your cool.

Sorry.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

Member Garage Member Garage

Reading like this makes me want to keep off the street on two wheels. Track and dirt only to have safer fun and avoid these horrible experiences altogether !!
Thanks for sharing and all I can suggest is donít react & take deep breaths next time.
One persistent mistake I see riders make when trying to ride faster: Using too much lean, too late in the corner, well after the apex of a turn. This is precisely where you want to be on the gas not increasing lean. Remedy: use reference points for tip in and use a strong countersteer input to quickly flick the bike to max lean at tip in
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by D675R View Post
Reading like this makes me want to keep off the street on two wheels. Track and dirt only to have safer fun and avoid these horrible experiences altogether !!
Thanks for sharing and all I can suggest is donít react & take deep breaths next time.
Yes, my actions were very hypocritical of me and a reminder I will continually be learning regardless of age or experience.

I've done the "no street riding" thing before. Maybe time to try it again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Don't let them get to you.

Do what you must to safley get along your way.

Ragers gunna rage.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

1. That dude was being a straight up douche. I've had several encounters EXACTLY like that, and it has always been cruiser/harley riders. Seems most of them share the same mentality of "I'm on a harley, I'm a bad watch out!!", along with the ever present throttle blip for no reason. I hate doing it but in the past I've resorted to going over and splitting between 2 and 3 lanes just to get around them. Other than that, yeah just be patient.

2. Also being a straight up douche, if intentional. trying to be a good motorcyclist ambassador. You're not going to change his mind, best to just distance yourself. I've had cagers jerk their vehicles in my direction while lane sharing. Even when doing so responsibly, under 45 with no more of a 15mph delta. Those people, just get away from them and keep going. It's never worth it to even make a hand gesture etc. Just go.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

Ragers gunna rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Mike View Post

2. You're not going to change his mind, best to just distance yourself.
I also drive a car (a lot) and I just don't understand what the big deal is on letting a bike filter through. It doesn't affect my driving whatsoever or my time of arrival. When I'm walking down the sidewalk, I step to the side if someone is walking faster or even jogging. , if I'm in the grocery store with a cart full of items, I'll let the person or people with a few items go ahead. But I guess some people already have their mind made up
Old 06-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------->

Bike(s):
2017 FZ-10
2019 Tracer 900 GT
2013 YZF-R1 track only

It's the same people who don't get that we're helping to alleviate congestion by not having a 5 foot motorcycle take up 20+ feet of space in between vehicles in front and behind. Imagine how much further back they would be in traffic if every motorcycle stayed in their lane just like a car/truck.

It helps you ya moron!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
I also drive a car (a lot) and I just don't understand what the big deal is on letting a bike filter through. It doesn't affect my driving whatsoever or my time of arrival. When I'm walking down the sidewalk, I step to the side if someone is walking faster or even jogging. , if I'm in the grocery store with a cart full of items, I'll let the person or people with a few items go ahead. But I guess some people already have their mind made up
I'm with you.

Situational awareness and care enough to make a positive effort.
Liked this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Oh man, Ive experienced the same thing with other motorcyclists completely unaware of other riders following behind them; it's friggin' annoying.

On a few occasions now, I've experienced a particular race of male drivers in trucks that are unfriendly towards motorcycles. Purposefully hogging the lane and/or wanting to race and get in front of me. They crazy thing is, I ride pretty mellow and I am very courteous. I use my signals and often give a friendly wave to those who notice me coming from behind and make room for me to pass.

I however would be a bit bent if someone folded my mirror in while splitting lanes....fellow motorcyclist or not.
hbwesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
fz_289

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha FZ-09

happens. Don't beat yourself up or lose sleep, just learn what you can from the experience and move on. At the end of the day, stick to what your gut tells you and go with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fz_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Guy

Liked this post:

Advertisement