socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Fishbowl

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

CHP ALERT!!!!!!!!

Just a heads up, CHP is everywhere in force the past two months. I am normally one of the slowest motorcycle riders on the freeway and even I have gotten two tickets in the past month.

Watch out guys because neither of my tickets were speed related.

I guess I can get a bit more specific; Northbound 57 where it meets the 60, they are watching for double yellow violations with an SUV officer parked further back alongside the K-Rail.

Last edited by Fishbowl; 08-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
LAZO818

Bummer man! Hopefully you can fight the tickets...
LAZO818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Mr. Blue

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha R6 Track
Triumph Explorer
Honda VTX 1300

thanks for the heads up, I've been out of the country. So a cruiser/SUV pulled you over or were they bike cops?
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Big_Panda
Forum Supporter

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
1991 Harley Davidson FLHS Electra Glide Sport

2005 Yamaha Vstar 1100 - Sold
1986 Yamaha IT465 - got for free - fixed - sold

Man, I feel like getting a ticket for a double yellow violation is fairly petty. But I also feel like there is no consistency in what the CHP enforces. I have gotten a ticket for going 84 mph from one chippy and a verbal warning for going 89 mph from another. All depends on the mood I guess.

Were both your tickets double yellow violations?
Big_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
mikesx4911

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)

a ticket for going over double yellow on a bike with lane splitting give me a break lol

mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
Chaplain

What a money grab. That spot sucks cause you totally get stuck in the car pool lane there and are left w no choice (car or bike).
Ive gotten two txts this month as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Chaplain is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Diescrap95

Bike(s):
2017 ZX10R

True...just got pulled over yesterday, gave me a ticket for "No rear reflectors" first time I've ever heard of that citation. He said he saw me change lanes without using my turn signals, my guess is that would have cost more...
Diescrap95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Fishbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
thanks for the heads up, I've been out of the country. So a cruiser/SUV pulled you over or were they bike cops?
First ticket was from a motorcycle cop and the 2nd was an SUV cruiser. So likely some common message was given to all of these theads to start pulling us all over for every little thing.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
Fishbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Panda View Post
Man, I feel like getting a ticket for a double yellow violation is fairly petty. But I also feel like there is no consistency in what the CHP enforces. I have gotten a ticket for going 84 mph from one chippy and a verbal warning for going 89 mph from another. All depends on the mood I guess.

Were both your tickets double yellow violations?
First one was a fix it ticket for aftermarket exhaust. Easily resolved but will still cost me $25 to have it "inspected". The second was the double yellow, northbound on the 57 where it meets the 60.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Fishbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
What a money grab. That spot sucks cause you totally get stuck in the car pool lane there and are left w no choice (car or bike).
Ive gotten two txts this month as well.

Exactly, it is a terrible design. You get trapped in the carpool lane with no opportunity to get to the 57 North unless you jump the line. It's a cheap shot for sure, they know well they could sit there all day and have an almost infinite income stream by writing tickets for double yellow violations in that spot. I'm not a criminal by any means but I got lectured like I was one. This guy (white dude, black hair) was a top shelf a#sh0le. I couldn't believe the belittling that accompanied this ticket. I'm just a 40 year old dude driving home from work. Hats off to you sergeant you're doing a great job keeping the world safe from low-life double yellow jumpers like me.

What were your tickets for?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbowl View Post
Exactly, it is a terrible design. You get trapped in the carpool lane with no opportunity to get to the 57 North unless you jump the line. It's a cheap shot for sure, they know well they could sit there all day and have an almost infinite income stream by writing tickets for double yellow violations in that spot. I'm not a criminal by any means but I got lectured like I was one. This guy (white dude, black hair) was a top shelf a#sh0le. I couldn't believe the belittling that accompanied this ticket. I'm just a 40 year old dude driving home from work. Hats off to you sergeant you're doing a great job keeping the world safe from low-life double yellow jumpers like me.

What were your tickets for?
All since fathers day
Expresslane violation: on moto east bound on 91 where 71 mergers. Expresslane turns into carpool lane then turns back into express lane. Every time ive gone through here the past couple years the road is different. Went into the carpool lane but couldnt find a gap to get back out intime before it was an expresslane again. Also had a truck bearing down on me when I was slowing to try to find a gap didn't want to get smashed.

Ticket 1: on moto South bound on 215 leaving Glen Helen raceway. Merging onto traffic from long onramp next too a truck and trailer. Thought about shooting the gap and going in front of him but decided to checkup to let him pass, and merge onto freeway behind him like a respectable biker. Once on freeway i slip around him because riding behind or next to truck n trailer is a no no. Cop was behind me from the get go. 85 in a 65. I usually check behind me better but the truck and trailer had my attention.

Ticket 2: in rental car. Got caught in a speed trap in Missouri, middle of no where Sunday morning on my way to chapel service.... i'm the speaker. 83 in a 65

I do apperciate our officers but hate it when they treat you like your peddling drugs and beating up ol ladies. All because of a traffic violation. A few of them need to watch some Andy Griffin episodes to learn hiw to deal with joe public.
I too am in my 40's, clean cut, polite and have all my paperwork in order.

Chaplain is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
buradd

this is so weird because i thought for sure i would be pulled over already..

i have an integrated turn signal/brake tail light with no rear reflectors and no bulb signals (need signals to be 9 inches apart or something)

i've passed and got in front of a few local PD, SUV and bike... also ended up right in front of CHP about four times now.. this morning included, i merged onto the fwy and it was empty so i shot across 3 lanes looking back with my illegal integrated tail light signaling my lane changes, I was going to take the carpool lane but the SUV that was creeping up in the carpool lane was a CHP.. I decided to stay in the #1 lane, checked my speed.. he ended up speeding up and passing me, then he threw on his lights and kept going, then he turned off his lights and merged into the #1 lane about a 1/4 mile down and let me go right by him.

i don't know if it's because i'm on a small R3 with stock exhaust, they just aren't really paying any attention to me and i'm loving it so far..

edit: also forgot to mention one of those old harley riding CHP passed right by me in the carpool lane two days ago, no reaction to my tail light situation at all

Last edited by buradd; 08-11-2017 at 01:33 PM.
buradd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
i28
newb ordinaire

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07

Quote:
Originally Posted by buradd View Post
edit: also forgot to mention one of those old harley riding CHP passed right by me in the carpool lane two days ago, no reaction to my tail light situation at all
Sometimes they'll give you a fix it ticket for something stupid like that as a warning instead of giving you a ticket for what they actually pulled you over for.
I once got a ticket for the front tints on my car (and they were really light) but I was really pulled over for speeding and passing a cop on the freeway.

Last edited by i28; 08-11-2017 at 03:02 PM.
i28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #14
Sembalap

Quote:
Originally Posted by buradd View Post
.. this morning included, i merged onto the fwy and it was empty so i shot across 3 lanes
So it's illegal to shoot 3 lanes? Here in SGV every young woman and old man does that.
Sembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
Fishbowl

So my double yellow violation arrived and the bail amount is $490. I don't have any other tickets on my record in the last five years so I doubt this will impact my insurance. I'd like to get the bail amount reduced if anything.

Do you guys think I should pay a ticket service and fight by declaration or go to court and face the judge?

If you fight by declaration you have to pay the bail ahead of time. If you go to court you do not pay the bail at first. I fear that my $490 would be absorbed by the state for sure if I try to fight by declaration.

What do you all think?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #16
cruderudy

For friggin $490 I'd sure fight something like - whats to loose? The ticket lawyer may cost that much too!
cruderudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #17
Mr. Blue

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha R6 Track
Triumph Explorer
Honda VTX 1300

I haven't had to deal with tickets in a long time and certainly not in CA (**knocks on wood....) but when I was younger I had success putting a suit on and facing the judge. That's the route I would take if you can swing it.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement