socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
jamespz03

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F

Member Garage Member Garage

ICON helmets

From a safety standpoint, avoid or okay to purchase? I found one I like ($200) and it meets or exceeds the following: DOT FMVSS 218 (US), ECE 22-05 (EUROPE), SAI AS1698 (AUSTRALIA) and SG (JAPAN).

Anyone own one or used one that can provide feedback on the brand? Iím looking at the Alliance Overlord for reference. Itís either this or the arai quantum x for $600+ Since I want my hi-viz.

Thanks.
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

I liked mine.

They are built in South Korea under HJC contract. They have a range of models, I'm not sure their more expensive stuff competes with the japanese competition though. I had a Variant for a bit and an Airmada. The Variant was too big and heavy, and while it looked neat I can't recommend it for street riding. Maybe it's better for dual sport stuff.

The Airmada comes in 4 shell sizes and has a ton of airflow. Great helmet for the track. The neck roll was one of the tightest I've ever felt. Some Icon helmets have a pin that secures the shield down, which I didn't like because you need to use two hands to pop the shield up. Helmet weight was quite low. The shield change sucks so it's not good for swapping shields.

The Alliance and Alliance GT are probably way more street friendly. While the interior isn't quite as nice as Arai the Hydradry is quite good and is easily replaced.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
jamespz03

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F

Member Garage Member Garage

Thanks for the info.
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:39 AM   #4
centerstand65

I own three well-worn Icon Alliance helmets. I also own one well-worn Icon Variant. The guys who wore them in sweated in them for years. They are some of my most comfortable helmets. If you're gonna own an Icon helmet, buy it used. The most comfortable helmets are those with Hydradry padding that's gone from pristine white to a natural gray and yellow from years of another guy's sweat.
centerstand65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement