socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #1
Miruri
Rachel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker
2013 1199 Panigale - Dustin's Real Wife
2013 Aprilia RSV4 - Crash Bike

Helmets! - Opinions and Experiences Wanted!

I am in the market for a new helmet. My RPHA-10 has enough chips in it from riding that it is time to put it on the shelf and get something else. I recently have tried two helmets from Rezilla, both of which arrived below my expectations or did not meet my particular requirements. They were the Shark Race-R Pro and Schubreth SR-1.

What I am after is something high end, excellent air flow, exceptional build quality, and certified by DOT and SNELL. So what I have boiled my options down to are...

Shoei RF-1200, and Scorpion EXO R-2000. Both of these stand out to me as something unique, and no word on the arrival of the RPHA-11. What do you guys think?
Miruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

I have had a Shoei RF1000 in the past and it was really good. The extra money goes into the shield and materials. I really liked it. The RF1100 and 1200 fit the same on me. I do not really like Shoei's liveries but oh well.

What did you not like about the Shark? I really like the look of the Redding replica but there are no places to try them on.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
S1KTim

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2016 BMW S1000RR
GSXR1000 broke it, fixed it then sold it.
Gsxr600 sold
Ninja 250 when I was a kid-so totaled ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
I have had a Shoei RF1000 in the past and it was really good. The extra money goes into the shield and materials. I really liked it. The RF1100 and 1200 fit the same on me. I do not really like Shoei's liveries but oh well.

What did you not like about the Shark? I really like the look of the Redding replica but there are no places to try them on.
I have an rf1200 and fortunately it's the only gear that didn't take a significant impact! Airflow is good but could be better, try chaparral motorsports in San Bernardino, they have 100's of high end helmets you can try on before buying. It's at the 215-10 freeways.
S1KTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
RPR

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple R (Street)
2015 Yamaha R3 (Race)

I have both the rf1200 and the scorpion exo r710 (lesser version of the 2000 but should still be comparable) and I definitely prefer the shoei. I have a medium in both and the shoei fits tighter (I'd probably order a small if I were to get the scorpion again). The shoei just feels more premium to me, granted it was twice the cost. That being said I really have 0 complaints with the scorpion, just wish it was a little tighter. I've also had two pairs of scorpion gloves and liked them a lot
CVMA #217
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:

I'm interested on what you didn't like about the Shark also. I had my eye on that Redding replica also but was waiting for the Sykes replica and it's finally out. I haven't been able to try the new head shape in my size but I'm hoping it will fit. Unfortunately not a lot of people carry the shark lids specially in my size. The interior of shark and the build quality have always been top notch for me, I had 2 of their previous models and really liked them.

If you want a more premium helmet and want to stay in that $500 budget go with a shoei x12, they are on sale right now because the x14's are out. Also look into the new Bell star helmets the interior on those are second to none plus the built and paint quality are amazing. Bell to me is the best bang for the buck of all helmets.
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
S1KTim

Bike(s):
2016 BMW S1000RR
GSXR1000 broke it, fixed it then sold it.
Gsxr600 sold
Ninja 250 when I was a kid-so totaled ��

I have an rf1200 you can try out its not like I'll be using it!! Think it's a medium but up to you
S1KTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
675rDad

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2014 Daytona 675r
07 Gsxr 600(owned)
2010 Ninja 250(owned)

Member Garage Member Garage

I own a Shoei RF 1200 and love it. It's lite, handles the wind nicely, and looks great.
675rDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
UAV

I've been using a Shoei Qwest for the last few years. It flows air quite well (at the cost of noise) and the build quality is good, if not great. Definitely a step up from my previous HJC budget helmets. The faceshield mechanism especially. In fact, at one point the mechanism started getting stiff so I took it down to Shoei NA in Irvine and they fixed it under warranty.

That being said, if you really want a high-end helmet with a buttery smooth faceshield mechanism, check out Arai. They are fantastic. They may be more difficult to remove/install so if you swap faceshields often keep that in mind. The newer Bell helmets have a very smooth faceshield mechanism, too.

Of course none of this matters if the helmet doesn't fit your head. Part of the reason I'm moving away from Shoei.. their helmets are all pretty narrow now and I have a wide noggin. You really have to go to the dealers and try them out. Motor Helmets in Fullerton has a pretty good selection.

For my next helmet I'm either gonna splurge on a custom Bell Star or see if I can find a roundish Arai on closeout.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
SrsBsns

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2016 Yamaha XSR900
2012 CBR1000RR (stolen)
2003 ZX6R-636 (sold)
2000 Bandit 600 (sold)

This is an interesting thread. Why aren't you just going to replace the RPHA 10 with another one?

I'm interested because I have an RPHA 10 as well that's going on 2 years old. I'll be starting to look for a replacement when it turns 3-ish.
SrsBsns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
lsos1115

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2014 zx6 (track)
2016 XSR900 (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruri View Post
I am in the market for a new helmet. My RPHA-10 has enough chips in it from riding that it is time to put it on the shelf and get something else. I recently have tried two helmets from Rezilla, both of which arrived below my expectations or did not meet my particular requirements. They were the Shark Race-R Pro and Schubreth SR-1.

What I am after is something high end, excellent air flow, exceptional build quality, and certified by DOT and SNELL. So what I have boiled my options down to are...

Shoei RF-1200, and Scorpion EXO R-2000. Both of these stand out to me as something unique, and no word on the arrival of the RPHA-11. What do you guys think?
I have a RF-1200. No complaints whatsoever -- and actually a nice step up in quality from the RF-1100 I had before. Comfy, quiet, and doesn't fog at any speed over 10mph.
lsos1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

I love it when all of you write responses, thank you.

Concerning Shark Helmets - I am particular, the fit was exceptional and every vent felt solid, however the left chimney intake broke free after one ride and I had to return it. The other thing that got me was how flimsy their removal system felt installing and uninstalling the visor. But what caused me to not replace the helmet was the visor, it smoothly pulls down and up, there is no latching mechanism like on my HJC to secure it in place, also the locking mechanism is a pain to use to open the visor with gloves on.

As for another HJC, absolutely I am considering it but after two years of being in the same kid you kind of want to see what's better out there.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

Oh yeah, I had seen a video review of a different Shark helmet where the visor just sort of...plugged into the pivots? Like there was no release mechanism, you just sort of yank it out. Definitely not as good as a proper mechanism, but the Skwal helmet I would never change out the clear visor. In the same way, if I got the Race R Pro for the track I'd never need to change the shield from smoke.

Are you saying there are no detents for the visor? Just full up and full down?
Old 07-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #13
Miruri
Rachel

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR - Joker

Quote:
Oh yeah, I had seen a video review of a different Shark helmet where the visor just sort of...plugged into the pivots? Like there was no release mechanism, you just sort of yank it out. Definitely not as good as a proper mechanism, but the Skwal helmet I would never change out the clear visor. In the same way, if I got the Race R Pro for the track I'd never need to change the shield from smoke.

Are you saying there are no detents for the visor? Just full up and full down?
You can place the visor half up or down but there is not latch or pivot point that will hold it into place like other helmets.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #14
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

I see, thanks for the info.

I can't really recommend the Shoei X-12, at least the American version. To make it Snell compliant it added a lot of weight to the helmet.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #15
Ill Will

Bike(s):
ZX14R

These are great for airflow, no need to worry about pesky shields either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	72218  
Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
Demo_man

Bike(s):
2015 CBR600RR
2014 CBR600RR (crashed)
2005 R6 (Stolen)
2001 SV650 (Sold)
1999 Buel Blast (Sold)

Scorpion EXO helmets are the only helmet that fits my narrow small head well that I have tried. I did have an Arai 15 years ago that fit well but I had hair then, lol.
Demo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #17
Bash Hat

Bike(s):
2014 Aprilia RSV4
2009 Aprilia Tuono-Sold
2007 Yamaha FZ6-Sold
2005 Ninja 250-Sold

I'm interested in everyone's opinion too. I like the looks of the Bell Star carbon helmets. Can anyone who's owned one attest to their quality/fit/wind noise?
Bash Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #18
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

There is a new Bell Star that I tried on, I really like it from at least the fitment in the store. The one weird part was the ear cupholes; they're not tall enough to the top part of my hear is pressed against the top liner. Not sure if I could live with that or I would need to re-shape the liner. Otherwise I think it's a competitor for the Shoei X-14 for sure.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
Bash Hat

Bike(s):
2014 Aprilia RSV4
2009 Aprilia Tuono-Sold
2007 Yamaha FZ6-Sold
2005 Ninja 250-Sold

Quote:
There is a new Bell Star that I tried on, I really like it from at least the fitment in the store. The one weird part was the ear cupholes; they're not tall enough to the top part of my hear is pressed against the top liner. Not sure if I could live with that or I would need to re-shape the liner. Otherwise I think it's a competitor for the Shoei X-14 for sure.
Good to know. My ears don't sit particularly high up on my head so may not be an issue. I wear an AGV K3 right now. Good helmet but can be a little noisy at speed and it does lift a little above 80mph. I think I need to try on the Bell. Sorry to hijack the thread Miruri!
Bash Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #20
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6 & WR250R
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash Hat View Post
I'm interested in everyone's opinion too. I like the looks of the Bell Star carbon helmets. Can anyone who's owned one attest to their quality/fit/wind noise?
I have two Bell Stars for track and street - an older one (like 5 years old now) and a newer Star Carbon for the track. The quality, IMO, is top notch on each. They have a 5 year warranty, too. I only used the warranty on the awesome helmet bag that comes with it (zipper issue) and no issues with customer service sending out a replacement.

The newer Star Carbon has a 'racier' (tighter) fit to it, which I actually prefer. It also has a magnetic strap retainer - no button - I love it! Both have speaker pockets and fit a Sena perfectly. The ventilation is excellent. I always wear ear plugs on the street so I can't comment on noise but even with the ear plugs I never have my Sena volume turned all the way up in my street helmet. In fact, no issues running without earplugs on the track - I commonly head out forgetting to put them in. I would say it is noiser than other helmets, but flows more air - a welcome tradeoff IMO. They changed liner material between the two, I actually prefer the older material, but I think the newer material wicks sweat better. I have the transitions shield on my street helmet and I LOVE it. Swapping shields is ridiculously easy if needed.

My carbon will soon replace my older Bell as it's getting close to retirement.There's nothing visually wrong with the older Bell, but better to be safe than sorry. And it's a good excuse to get a new track helmet
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement