socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
kfount

Feedback Rating: (0)

New helmet old manufacturing date

I bought this Sunday a new AGV corsa black from Dainese. It had a discount, 470 dollars from 800. It is obviously DOT, I checked SHARP and it has excellent rating at all sides of the helmet. I thought great! Well, not so great after all, I just checked the manufacturing date and it says July 2013!!

The helmet seems and smells brand new, but the manufacturing date bothers me somehow. What do you guys think? Should I return it? It's just 5 days in and I haven't used it at all so far.

Last edited by kfount; 08-04-2017 at 12:30 AM.
kfount is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
i28
this is not a pipe

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07

from this page:
https://www.revzilla.com/agv-helmets...sked-questions

"Q. What is the average life-span of an AGV helmet?

A. Generally speaking, a helmet should be replaced either 5 years after date of purchase or 7 years after date of manufacturing, whichever comes first. Over time, changes in humidity and temperature can weaken the interior EPS liner and comfort liner within the helmet. Both of these layers play an important part in the dispersion of energy in the event of an impact. Replacing the helmet before these begin to break down is important for adequately protecting your noggin."

Pretty much when the liner and stuff may start to break down and the manufacturer doesn't want to be held liable for anything.

More reading:
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/helmet-shelf-life-answers

Last edited by i28; 08-04-2017 at 01:20 AM.
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
kfount

Thanks!

I've read the first link. It kind of makes me feel better :-D. Using the 7 years life span from day of manufacturing essentially I got the helmet without a discount...

I also looked at the AGV FAQ and says 5 years after the day of purchase. I am inclined to keep it and replace it in 3 years.
Liked this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
i28
this is not a pipe

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07

It's still a really good helmet in terms of safety compared to others. Check out the sharp ratings.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/agv-corsa/

Edit: you mentioned that. I need to learn how to read.
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
kfount

Indeed, this is the reason that I bought this in the first place. I guess it's kind of psychological since it has one year less than half of its official lifespan. It's my first decent helmet and got super exited about it :-)

Last edited by kfount; 08-04-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

Clearly it's new old stock. Because it was probably in box for all this time, out of UV exposure and probably away from high temps, it's probably aging out much slower, so maybe knock 2/3rds of the time passed off the total time to this point. (just my suggestion.)
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #7
centerstand65

New but Old is Fine, So is Old but Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfount View Post
I bought this Sunday a new AGV corsa black from Dainese. It had a discount, 470 dollars from 800. It is obviously DOT, I checked SHARP and it has excellent rating at all sides of the helmet. I thought great! Well, not so great after all, I just checked the manufacturing date and it says July 2013!!

The helmet seems and smells brand new, but the manufacturing date bothers me somehow. What do you guys think? Should I return it? It's just 5 days in and I haven't used it at all so far.
The keyword here is "may". The EPS liner "may" break down. The comfort liner "may" break down. A new helmet with an old manufacturing date is not a problem. If styrofoam cups last for a hundred years floating in the ocean (water with the same salt content as your sweat), then a helmet will last for decades, used or unused.

Personally, I prefer the fit and natural smell of a used lid. I own a couple of Arai Quantum/e helmets and a couple of Icon Alliance helmets. They're all previously worn in by other guys who sweated in them for years before I ever put them on. They're cool on the outside, and hot and smelly on the inside.
centerstand65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement