socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
calcrush

Feedback Rating: (0)

Help choosing a route?

Hello, I'm pretty new to riding.

I plan to commute from Laguna to Hollywood and North Hollywood on a weekly basis or so, most likely on a weekday. I'm used to using navigation apps to help me get there in a car. The routes are always switching depending on traffic.

Always, at least part of 5 or 405 is involved, very often 73, and often 101. Sometimes 605, 710, or 105 are involved. Sometimes even surface roads.

On a motorcycle, things will be different. I need to prioritize safety.

If traffic is really bad, I will probably lane split. I imagine having a carpool lane is the most important thing? Then again, maybe factors like, hills (73), construction, trucks traffic, typical driver disposition, avoiding needless interchanges apply? I really haven't been out there enough to know what kinds of factors apply most, let alone which routes favor different factors vs others (depending on time of day or day of week even).

Should I even bother using a navigation aid on my phone (mounted to my handlebars)? Should traffic make a difference… and if it does, do I follow the navigation suggestions or use the information to make my own choices based on some other criteria?

Thanks for any tips anyone can provide!
calcrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
VFRCapt.Bob

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
99 VFR800
09 FZ1
YZ426f
YZ250f
CR125r

Waze and Google Maps are what I use when I have to work out in that area from Seal Beach. Morning traffic early AM never too bad. Ride home lots of tight splitting and aggressive drivers. Eventually you will find your preferred route home. 101 5 605 405 to Seal Beach ended up my favorite.
VFRCapt.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Big_Panda
Forum Supporter

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2004 Honda VFR800
1991 Harley Davidson FLHS
2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory SE
2001 GSXR-750 (Track only)

When I am riding to a set I always look up the most direct route and begin modifying from there. I usually avoid the 5 and stick to the 405 when riding only because a huge majority of the 405 has a carpool lane. Additionally it seems like some portion of the 5 is ALWAYS under construction. The 405 is wide, has few interchanges, and almost always has a carpool lane for splitting.

Waze now has a "Motorcycle" feature which gives you a more accurate picture of how long itll take to get there and allows for carpool access. However I tend, like I said, to simply use the most direct route.

I have found that splitting during the day with my high beams on gets me noticed by more vehicles. I can tell this because more people move left/get out of the way when I split the carpool and #1 lane when I have my high beams on. Make sure you only do this when it is full daylight, I think it would be rude to do this at night.
Big_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
OOTV

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP

As much as I hate the 405, Big Panda is right about the amount of car pool lane available, you can take it all the way from San Clemente (South) all the way to Sylmar (North). I take it quite often when I need to head North, although sometimes I will take 5 and 101 if Iím going to DTLA or Hollywood areas.

If youíre going to NoHo, 405 to 101 (which also has a carpool lane in some sections) would probably be the best and most direct route. Not sure what your comfort level with lane splitting is but if youíre pretty new to riding, Iíd stick with freeways that have a carpool lane. Once you get more time on the road and more comfortable commuting on a bike, maybe try other routes, like 5/101.

Cheers and good luck!
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
VFRCapt.Bob

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
99 VFR800
09 FZ1
YZ426f
YZ250f
CR125r

Freeway Interchanges are the worst in Down Town LA. They are tricky and you should expect to be cut off by drivers making last ditch lane changes. Just be patient and leave yourself space.
VFRCapt.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

The 5 north is not so bad in the morning you can get to the county line fairly easy. Going past the construction gets a little narrow you can take the 710 to the 10/101 on to Hollywood. No real good way to get around downtown. Just no good way to get there be careful and follow the guidelines take it easy and be glad you are not in a cage.

Or go the night before find a cheap hotel with the fewest junkies and hoes and avoid the rush
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement