socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Nate@BLI

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Good place in OC to get forks rebuilt?

Can anyone recommend a reputable place to take a set of forks to get serviced? Don't have any interest in boxing them up to send to RaceTech. Just want to find a local shop that I can take them to for a regular fluid and seals change. Forks are off my SV1000 but they're GSXR 600/750 forks.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

Attack is in Huntington Beach
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
NoExpert

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha YZF-R1 Rapid Red

If you don't mind a ride, SST in Ramona. Dax is awesome to deal with and he doesn't charge much.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Chaplain

I would agree with both above suggestions. Dax is a good dude and Attack Racing is a reputable shop. Ive dealt with both and will again..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 AM   #5
yup
Forum Supporter
zero given

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR 600
2005 Ninja 650r

I can't speak on the OC proximity (my recommended shop is in LA) but if you're willing to make the drive, I can recommend an excellent shop owner/mechanic named Chris @ Melrose Moto in Los Angeles.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/melrose-moto-los-angeles

That's a solid 5/5 stars from all reviews including mine. This guy goes the distance for your sportbike. Chris runs his own shop out of a small space but is always working on something and loves the sport & craft as a true enthusiast.

He has done great work for my girlfriend (rides a 250) & I on several occasions now, is very honest & keeps you up to date with the work he's doing, and is super up front about the process. I was recently just at his shop earlier this week and he is currently working on several fork rebuilds.

If you haven't already gone to a shop, I would give this shop a ring & tell him Tommy recommended you (or not lol). I've gone to bike shops from my OC days in Newport Coast to Fullerton to Los Angeles and honestly, this is a gem of a shop.
bike: leovince, vortex, woodcraft, power commander, bf goodrich, dunlop, K&N, speedoDRD, elite moto, ddmtuning, ebc, convertibars, zero gravity, elite moto, dunlop, renthal, tail tidy fender eliminator
gear: knox, bell, scorpion, teknic, rs-taichi, dainese, alpinestars
yup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #6
1greatpandawan

Or if you want to drive down to the I.E. I can also do it for you.
1greatpandawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
LAZO818

Quote:
Originally Posted by yup View Post
I can't speak on the OC proximity (my recommended shop is in LA) but if you're willing to make the drive, I can recommend an excellent shop owner/mechanic named Chris @ Melrose Moto in Los Angeles.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/melrose-moto-los-angeles

That's a solid 5/5 stars from all reviews including mine. This guy goes the distance for your sportbike. Chris runs his own shop out of a small space but is always working on something and loves the sport & craft as a true enthusiast.

He has done great work for my girlfriend (rides a 250) & I on several occasions now, is very honest & keeps you up to date with the work he's doing, and is super up front about the process. I was recently just at his shop earlier this week and he is currently working on several fork rebuilds.

If you haven't already gone to a shop, I would give this shop a ring & tell him Tommy recommended you (or not lol). I've gone to bike shops from my OC days in Newport Coast to Fullerton to Los Angeles and honestly, this is a gem of a shop.
Thanks for the heads up. A five star rating for a shop/mechanic/tech is super rare!
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Kenny
Science Nature

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600RR

I would like to recommend Alex at Recluse Racing & Repair in Bellflower.

He's a competent mechanic with years of experience.

Here's his Yelp page: https://www.yelp.com/biz/recluse-rac...air-bellflower
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #9
Dustin
MRsmacksEM

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
R6 stolen 😢

I'm going to high jack your post !
So speaking overtime forks rebuilt I'm just putting in fresh oil and seals, I'm going with the OEM shell 7.5wt. Would I gain a benefit going with shell 10wt or even 15wt.
BTW fully suited I'm lite maybe 155 lbs
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #10
RPR

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple R (Street)
2015 Yamaha R3 (Race)

Is your suspension dialed in to where you like it? Where are your compression and rebound adjusters in terms of clicks? If they're in the middle and the suspension works the way you want it to, I'd stick with what you've got. If you're within a couple clicks of being maxed out in either direction, I would say to change it so you're closer to the middle of the adjustment range.
CVMA #217
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #11
Tonybeau
Lurking

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Triumph Daytona 675R
2013 KTM 350 EXC-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
I'm going to high jack your post !
So speaking overtime forks rebuilt I'm just putting in fresh oil and seals, I'm going with the OEM shell 7.5wt. Would I gain a benefit going with shell 10wt or even 15wt.
BTW fully suited I'm lite maybe 155 lbs
Can't get the link to work from my phone but if you click on the header you should get a Dave moss video on fork oil viscosity

Last edited by Tonybeau; Yesterday at 10:59 PM.
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement