socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
Jebus

Feedback Rating: (0)

A Word on Old Gear

After a long hiatus in riding, I tried using my old Dainese torque boots. They were sitting in my closet for some 7 years and had about 1 year of reasonable use. Within a day, the sole of the boot started to come off BOTH of the boots. I noticed only when I had a flip-flop slap leaving a breakfast joint.

It got me thinking about the limitations of adhesive and helmets themselves. I'm a fan of buying clearance helmets, but I know that they always have a year or 2 gone from their 5 year suggested use. My brother, on the other hand, is using my old Arai that's 8 years past the manufacture date. It makes me cringe, a bit, but I know many people aren't bothered by this stuff.

Guess I would create a thread and see what you guys think about the topic. How old is too old? What gear would you wear 5+ years? 8+ years?
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

I had the same situation with my SIDIs, unused in my closet for years, and when I started to use them again the sole's glue failed. I took them to a shoe repair and got them re-glued with stronger and "more" glue. (The repairman said there wasn't enough glue put on by the manufacturer.) But the problem is now fixed. I still love my boots plus the color is now really really hard to find.

I'd go with the standard of 5 years with helmet replacement. With a few top of the line helmets like Arai, you might be able to go another year or 2 without worries, if the lid has really been cared for.
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

I have a Bell Qualifier thats just over 5 years old. Lightly used I was going to just give it away but now thinking of just tossing it.
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
I have a Bell Qualifier thats just over 5 years old. Lightly used I was going to just give it away but now thinking of just tossing it.
Ive read the the EPS liner, due to it's chemical makeup, releases gases over time and therefore it degrades. So in about 5 years or so of use, the EPS won't be as effective/shock(energy) absorbing upon impact.
hbwesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Pete_G

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2011 CBR600rr (Black)
'14 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold)
'11 CBR600rr red/black (totaled)
'07 CBR600rr all black (sold)
'04 Suzuki SV650s (sold)

Member Garage Member Garage

I think boots and helmets probably should be replaced every 5 years or so. I think that leathers can last much longer, as long as the paramedics don't cut them off of you. That's why I replaced mine lol
Old 05-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
MadMax
Part Deux

Bike(s):
2014 675R
2008 R6 (Totaled)
2005 R6 (Sold)
2003 R6 (Stolen)

I usually just get rid of helmets when they start showing heavy signs of wear and tear or feels loose.Three to five years sounds about right depending how much use it gets. It helps to clean it often and wear a head bandana.

My first helmet Iíve used the most tho, padding and liner littary falling apart. Thinking back might as well been wearing a paper hat.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
thtanner
VFR Rider

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
14 VFR800 FE
98 VFR800 FI
86 Vulcan 750

5 years is pretty much the rule. They expect it to sit on a shelf for up to 2 years, and get 5 years of active service after that. Maximum 7 years from mfg date (I think both Shoei and Arai's warranty are like this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbwesman View Post
Ive read the the EPS liner, due to it's chemical makeup, releases gases over time and therefore it degrades. So in about 5 years or so of use, the EPS won't be as effective/shock(energy) absorbing upon impact.
Also oils from your head, chemicals from shampoos / conditioners / etc cause further breakdown.
thtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
buradd

if i paid $700 for an arai helmet, i'd use it for 8+ years also lol
buradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
MrGreen

Bike(s):
2014 Ninja 1000

What do you do with your old helmets? Hard to throw them in a trash can...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #10
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
What do you do with your old helmets? Hard to throw them in a trash can...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you find a good option (that doesn't involve shipping), let me know because I have 3 Arai helmets that are beautiful and new looking but WAY too old. One of them was used maybe 5 times.
.........maybe some place that wants moto decorations, because these should never be used again. I'll cut off the straps to.

You know, with the considerable cost of good helmets and the difficulty of finding the perfect color scheme (for me at least), I think it's about time we have replaceable liners because the shell can keep its integrity for much longer. Can I get an Amen?

Last edited by UV1000; 05-25-2018 at 12:24 AM.
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #11
Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-27-2018, 02:25 AM   #12
NoExpert

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha YZF-R1 Rapid Red

Shells break down as well. Shoei uses organic fibers in their shells that deteriorate with time. The non organic fibers become brittle and more susceptible to cracking. Their recommended service life is 7 years from date of manufacture or 5 years from date of purchase. EPS liners breakdown from body oils and environmental contaminants. I’ve replaced the EPS liner in a Shoei helmet, major PITA.

I’ve smashed both new and old helmets with a log splitter, no way I’d shove my gourd in an old helmet. New helmets are flexible and take the impact we’ll, even bouncing back into shape. Old helmets are brittle and crack rather than distributing the impact.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

Great thread with good info. Too many people don't understand an old helmet will not protect them correctly.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #14
centerstand65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
After a long hiatus in riding, I tried using my old Dainese torque boots. They were sitting in my closet for some 7 years and had about 1 year of reasonable use. Within a day, the sole of the boot started to come off BOTH of the boots. I noticed only when I had a flip-flop slap leaving a breakfast joint.

It got me thinking about the limitations of adhesive and helmets themselves. I'm a fan of buying clearance helmets, but I know that they always have a year or 2 gone from their 5 year suggested use. My brother, on the other hand, is using my old Arai that's 8 years past the manufacture date. It makes me cringe, a bit, but I know many people aren't bothered by this stuff.

Guess I would create a thread and see what you guys think about the topic. How old is too old? What gear would you wear 5+ years? 8+ years?
Helmets are living things. As long as you keep feeding them your sweat, they stay alive. Once you put a helmet away for more than a year, dry rot may set in. It's best to sell your dirty lid on eBay, if you're not going to use it for a while. Let another guy wear your stink and keep the helmet alive. When you're ready to start riding, again, consider buying a used lid. It's much better than something that's new.
centerstand65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #15
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerstand65 View Post
Helmets are living things. As long as you keep feeding them your sweat, they stay alive. Once you put a helmet away for more than a year, dry rot may set in. It's best to sell your dirty lid on eBay, if you're not going to use it for a while. Let another guy wear your stink and keep the helmet alive. When you're ready to start riding, again, consider buying a used lid. It's much better than something that's new.

Awesome post.

Advertisement