socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2011 Honda CBR250R

Member Garage Member Garage

Big Willow

Most of this course is boring to me. Turns 3-4-5 are the only turns I find fun. The elevation change and off chamber aspects get a thumbs up. Also the blind exit to turn 4. Turn 2 you are leaned over forever and get to practice BP and maintenance throttle. Thatís my thoughts of Big Willow. Straight line speed YAWN doesnít excite me.
D675R is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
miles

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by D675R View Post
Straight line speed YAWN doesnít excite me.

Then you aren't getting enough of it.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Big Willow is the scariest track I've been on. The speeds that you can carry on some of those corners is insane!

I've almost highsided exiting T3. I over slowed my entry into T3 and I got on the gas a little too early, the rear stepped out then hooked because I went back to maintenance. My legs where up in the air and my chest cracked my windshield. Miracouslely I got back on the seat and still finished my race in 4th place. my exact thoughts in my head while in the air " ohhhh shhhhh!t, here we go again... I hope no one runs me over......... ohhhh what I'm back on?.. Ok..ok relax."

I've also had the front quickly slide in the middle of T8 what felt about a foot or two while I was fully leaned over. After that happened, I've slowed my entry a bit going in there.

Last edited by Pearl zx6; 10-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Chaplain

Quote:
Most of this course is boring to me. Turns 3-4-5 are the only turns I find fun. The elevation change and off chamber aspects get a thumbs up. Also the blind exit to turn 4. Turn 2 you are leaned over forever and get to practice BP and maintenance throttle. Thatís my thoughts of Big Willow. Straight line speed YAWN doesnít excite me.
Curious on what your thoughts are on Streets then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

Streets of Willow is a Riders Course. You will find something to challenge your skill on this 1.8 mile track no matter who you are or what you ride.

Streets is a really fun course where you are changing direction constantly. Itís like being on a go-cart track while riding a 250. You can run it in both directions unlike Big Willow. I like counterclockwise a little better because the bowl (turn 8) becomes a decreasing radius entry turn (and you can carry loads of speed entering and trail brake into the tighter exit while cambered 20 degrees over).

In the traditional clockwise direction, I like turns 2-8 the best. 2 is a decreasing radius right. 3 is a double apex left running a downhill entry. 4 is a tight very late apex right. 5-7 is a chicane that opens up (becoming less tight) that you can pick up speed to really rail into the bowl (turn 8) with its 20 degree positive camber and increasing radius (it opens up as you go through it). The back straight you can accelerate to triple digits if you have the to. You must hit your marks in 9. Hard braking into 10. 11 and 12 are a chicane and 13 is the infamous bumpy double apex skid pad (going deep in and squaring off 13 is best to avoid the bumps).

Streets is a blast on any 600. You will learn a lot about transitioning on the bike and develop a riding rhythm. Keith Code designed the course for rider development.

Last edited by D675R; 10-13-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
panigale

Bike(s):
Ducati Panigale R
Ducati 959/1299
Ducati 1199/899
BMW S1000rr - Lowsider
Aprilia RSV4 Factory/GSXR750

Agree, Big Willow is a hp track. High corner speeds which is good and bad. Many people have gone off at T9 and it has been very ugly!!
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
panigale

Bike(s):
Ducati Panigale R
Ducati 959/1299
Ducati 1199/899
BMW S1000rr - Lowsider
Aprilia RSV4 Factory/GSXR750

You'll learn more on streets with more manageable speeds. Plus Big Willow kills your tires on the right side!! Have to flip them
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
LAZO818

Turn 6 can be a bit sketchy at big willow also. I had an " oh !" moment where my front tire slid under me since you have the uphill camber change and are usually WOT coming out. If you crash out anywhere aside from turns 3,4, and 5... you can count on your bike being pretty tore up.
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

I love turn 8 because it is so exhilaratingly fast. What's not to love about getting low while the earth rushes by at 130-140-150+mph.
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Tonybeau

Trackdays: 8

2018 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2006 Yamaha R6 Track Bike
2005 Honda CRF450X

Got my first day at big willow Sunday. You guys are beginning to make me nervous. Ah well, will be one to at least tick off th list!
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Gixxerguy855
TrackDaz staffer

Bike(s):
TrackDaz staff
'15 S1000rr

The plate and screws in my collarbone from turn 9 while racing there in 05 remind me of just how focused you need to be on the throttle and how confident you need to be on the side of the tire!

Go for it!
Gixxerguy855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #12
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybeau View Post
Got my first day at big willow Sunday. You guys are beginning to make me nervous. Ah well, will be one to at least tick off th list!

Some tips:
Turn 1. Carry a whole lot more speed than you think into this one. Seriously, it's really wide and positively banked, even though it looks like a 90 degree left turn.

Turn 2. Settle in, work on body position, think about lunch, or maybe work... Don't worry, it''l be over eventually.

Turn 3. Get your turning done early. Don't be way over on the side of the tire when you start to head uphill.

Turn 4. Lean off a lot. It's easy to drag hard parts here.

Turn 5. It's wider than it looks, and if things really go bad stand it up and run off. Nothing terrible will happen.

Turn 6. The best line is to stay way right exiting 5 and going in to 6. Roll off the throttle a little bit at the top so you don't get black flagged for excessive wheelies.

Turn 7. Let six carry you to the left, then cut in to the apex when you can see down the track a bit into eight.

Turn 8. This is more like a straight but leaned over. Go as fast as your allow. Run wide to the left approaching nine.

Turn 9. From the left of the track, take this as a sweeper, but stay away from the curbing at the apex (where the bend of 8 runs into the front straight). There is a dip there that can seriously upset your suspension, and dirt collects there. *Important* Do not run off the track exiting nine. Seriously, don't do it. Do whatever it takes to make the turn.

Front straight. Peg that thing.

And now you're back to Turn 1. Easy peasy.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
Tonybeau

Trackdays: 8

2018 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2006 Yamaha R6 Track Bike
2005 Honda CRF450X

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Some tips:
Turn 1. Carry a whole lot more speed than you think into this one. Seriously, it's really wide and positively banked, even though it looks like a 90 degree left turn.

Turn 2. Settle in, work on body position, think about lunch, or maybe work... Don't worry, it''l be over eventually.

Turn 3. Get your turning done early. Don't be way over on the side of the tire when you start to head uphill.

Turn 4. Lean off a lot. It's easy to drag hard parts here.

Turn 5. It's wider than it looks, and if things really go bad stand it up and run off. Nothing terrible will happen.

Turn 6. The best line is to stay way right exiting 5 and going in to 6. Roll off the throttle a little bit at the top so you don't get black flagged for excessive wheelies.

Turn 7. Let six carry you to the left, then cut in to the apex when you can see down the track a bit into eight.

Turn 8. This is more like a straight but leaned over. Go as fast as your allow. Run wide to the left approaching nine.

Turn 9. From the left of the track, take this as a sweeper, but stay away from the curbing at the apex (where the bend of 8 runs into the front straight). There is a dip there that can seriously upset your suspension, and dirt collects there. *Important* Do not run off the track exiting nine. Seriously, don't do it. Do whatever it takes to make the turn.

Front straight. Peg that thing.

And now you're back to Turn 1. Easy peasy.
Thanks for the tips!!
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Really, the three to remember are

Turn 3- late apex it and get the bike upright quickly

Turn 6- stay right exiting 5, then straight up and over

Turn 9- watch out for the dip right by the curb
Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 PM   #15
trident777

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR, 2008 GSXR600

Quote:
if you find Big Willow boring you aren't going fast enough

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
trident777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #16
Diescrap95

Bike(s):
2017 ZX10R

I've seen a lot of people go wide on turn 4 and crash my first time in willow, had a bad tankslapper between 6 and 7 I believe...scared the out of me. Otherwise yeah turns 1,3 and 5 I really like.
Diescrap95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
jehanzeb

Big Willow is a riders track! Loved it first time I rode it even on a sputtering sv650.

However, if you are talking insane fast, Brainerd Raceway's turn 1 is around 150mph!

Like others have said, you have to ride a fast pace to really enjoy Big Willow.
jehanzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
Aphex

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Super Duke 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident777 View Post
if you find Big Willow boring you aren't going fast enough

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Exactly. I used to run Big Willow with PoC and it scared the out of me in a car I couldn't imagine hitting the balcony at the correct speed on a bike.
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #19
D675R
Tona agility, FTW !!!

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

Brainerd Raceway.... I would rather run the red configuration over the black. But thatís just my personal preference. I realize that others have differing tastes. But I can tell you that I would rather crash at slower speeds in a more technical course than at 120-160 mph curves in these higher paced, less technical raceways. The consequences are much more severe in triple digit turns.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...84084a2c1b.jpg

Last edited by D675R; 10-14-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Quote:
Brainerd Raceway.... I would rather run the red configuration over the black. But thatís just my personal preference. I realize that others have differing tastes. But I can tell you that I would rather crash at slower speeds in a more technical course than at 120-160 mph curves in these higher paced, less technical raceways. The consequences are much more severe in triple digit turns.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...84084a2c1b.jpg

I prefer a more technical track as well. In fact, I would much rather ride Streets than Big Willow- But I never, ever find Big Willow boring.

Advertisement