socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
motodad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2017 KTM Adv 1090 R
2016 KTM Duke 690
2019 BMW S1000R

Tires... I need fresh rubber

Hola! So let's talk tires. I need a new set of rubber on 2019 BMW S1000R (Not an RR but yes, an R)

The stock tires are Bridgestone Battlax S20 120/70ZR17(F) and 190/55ZR17(R). They are ok tires but nothing to write home about. I think they are technically no more, superseded by the S21 and/or S22. I barely eeeked out 2k miles out of these OEM tires in 5 months of bike ownership.

My riding is 90+% in the canyons with roughly 1 track day per life of the tires. This bike only leaves the garage on very nice, dry days. Wet grip is of NO consequence to me. I prefer side grip over mileage/life of the tire.

On my Duke 690, I have Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's. They are fantastic but I know tires that work well on a smaller bike could possibly fall apart under a bike with 4-5x more power.

Here are the tires I am thinking....
Bridgestone Battlax S21
Bridgestone Battlax RS-10
Michelin Power RS
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II
Pirelli SuperCorsa SP
Dunlop Sportmax Q3+

Thoughts and experiences?

Also, where should I go to buy and mount the tires? Wheels off bike.... I think I want some place is in the Temecula/Murrietta but prefer a place that is sportbike focused.

The Pirelli's on the Duke I had bought from and had mounted by Chaparral. But they have not answered their phone all week and I have called 2-3x, even used there call back option with no call back. I was hoping to buy over the phone, confirm date codes, then drive up. Like I did with the Pirelli's last year. If they are letting only a few people in at a time, I do not want to have to hang out all day to get it done.
motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

I found the S21/S22 and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II about the same on my S1000R and stick with the Bridgestones now, didn't care for Dunlops at all. I get all my tires from rockymountainATV.com but can't recommend a installer in your area.
thepretender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
motodad

Bike(s):
2017 KTM Adv 1090 R
2016 KTM Duke 690
2019 BMW S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
I found the S21/S22 and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II about the same on my S1000R and stick with the Bridgestones now, didn't care for Dunlops at all.
Thank you for the info. Are you running the S21, S22 or RS-10?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

S21 with a set of S22's waiting in the shead for next time.
thepretender is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

Best grip tire on the list is Pirelli Supercorsa. Great grip just won't last that long. You can have them mounted at Temecula Motorsports. Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's III next in line. Will last longer. Plenty of grip for street. You can order from Revzilla online.
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
panigale

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha R1M

Also check into Metzler K3's. They came standard on my 2016 S1000rr. Great tires too!!!!
panigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Rocket
Hero

Cool YouTube *

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodad View Post

Hola!

So let's talk tires.

Dunlop Sportmax Q3+

Thoughts and experiences?

https://www.socalsportbikes.org/foru...d.php?t=451270
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
motodad

Bike(s):
2017 KTM Adv 1090 R
2016 KTM Duke 690
2019 BMW S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by panigale View Post
Best grip tire on the list is Pirelli Supercorsa. Great grip just won't last that long. You can have them mounted at Temecula Motorsports. Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's III next in line. Will last longer. Plenty of grip for street. You can order from Revzilla online.
Thank you! This is where I am leaning too since I am a Pirelli fan.

I just won't use Temecula Motorsports for anything. There prices on almost everything is bloated and have some of the rudest management I have dealt with in the motorcycle industry.

Because I can't seem to get Chaparral on the phone at all.. I just called the dealer (Temecula BMW) to get me pricing and availability on the Pirelli SuperCorsa and Battlax S22 tires.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6 & WR250R
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

Aw man you just missed the Bridgestone rebate! I got a set of T31's and a set of S22's for two different bikes. I have not found better performing tires for the value, even without the rebate. The T31's are all you'll need for the street and can prob run an intermediate pace at a trackday (have not tracked them) but S22's are very impressive for track/street use at the expense of some mileage.

I buy and typically have them mount at Chaparral. They've had the lowest price of the Bridgestones I've found and mount & balance for $30/wheel off the bike. They charge $20 to mount if you don't want a balance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
motodad

Bike(s):
2017 KTM Adv 1090 R
2016 KTM Duke 690
2019 BMW S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Aw man you just missed the Bridgestone rebate! I got a set of T31's and a set of S22's for two different bikes. I have not found better performing tires for the value, even without the rebate.
Ahhh. BUMMER!!!

So..... to close the loop. Dealer ordered me a set of S22's. Supposedly will be there tomorrow. They are going to call me when they get in so I can roll over. They seem to think they will have me in and out in an hour tomorrow afternoon so I can ride this weekend.

Advertisement