socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






hi.


I don't think anyone ever reads introduction, but it suggested it. From Santa Barbara/San Ynez area, go to UCSB, ride a MT07; not very much currently thanks to all this "weather". There's snow?!? I'm not from CA but I'm pretty sure this is really abnormal.
Looking forward to more good weather.
ANYWAYS. Hi.
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
jamespz03
Senior Member
 
jamespz03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Diego
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 365

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F




Member Garage Member Garage




Hello and welcome. How do you like your MT? Do you ever take it to the track? I plan to upgrade to it next year.
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
Engineer
Fine Details
 
Engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 17

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 6











Nice. welcome. It's a great way to get around in.
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
i28
knight who says Ni!
 
i28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glendale, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 362

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07









Welcome!
I still think the FZ-07's are cooler than the MT-07's

I was just talking to a buddy who's at that school. What's your major?
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
OOTV
Senior Member
 
OOTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 124

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP







Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdercycle View Post

I don't think anyone ever reads introduction, but it suggested it. From Santa Barbara/San Ynez area, go to UCSB, ride a MT07; not very much currently thanks to all this "weather". There's snow?!? I'm not from CA but I'm pretty sure this is really abnormal.
Looking forward to more good weather.
ANYWAYS. Hi.
Believe it or not, So Cal used to get a lot of snow in the local mountains every winter. This was quite a few decades ago though. Iím not really a cold or wet weather person but with the right gear, one can still ride and enjoy being on the bike. Of course being warm and dry is much more preferable.
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






Well I have a heated vest - but itís not not worth it for me to ride in pouring rain. Especially with the downpours weíve been getting and all the debris flows on roads here. Cold I can handle fairly well. I went riding yesterday and it was still in the 60s. Operating a clutch with numb fingers is always *fun* but it was worth it to get outside.
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
MadMax
Part Deux
 
MadMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 662

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 675R
2008 R6 (Totaled)
2005 R6 (Sold)
2003 R6 (Stolen)






Hi and welcome! Sorry but I'm a little out of the loop. Whatís an MT?!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
jamespz03
Senior Member
 
jamespz03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Diego
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 365

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Honda CB500F




Member Garage Member Garage




It's a Yamaha MT-07, which were first released in 2018 in the U.S.(they were previously FZ-07's). The MT's have been in Europe for a few years.
jamespz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
mikesx4911
Moderator
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Garden Grove
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,515

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)



welcome aboard!!!
mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
Big_Panda
Forum Supporter
Senior Member
 
Big_Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Simi Valley
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 692

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Honda VFR800
1991 Harley Davidson FLHS
2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory SE
2001 GSXR-750 (Track only)






Crescent wrench lives up there too. They might be down for some riding soon. I live in Ventura county not too far away. Hope you are hitting up the 150 and the 33. Best roads in so cal.
__________________
On my tombstone they will carve
'IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME'
~ Hunter S. Thompson
Big_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Panda View Post
Crescent wrench lives up there too. They might be down for some riding soon. I live in Ventura county not too far away. Hope you are hitting up the 150 and the 33. Best roads in so cal.
Don't you mean "slip joint pliers" - Kidding. I call them "Chammers" anyways lol

I have only lived here for a few years and lack moto friends, I'm obviously trying to rectify that. As you can tell from my 2 months later response - I get sucked into the UCSB school vertex and disappear. I have yet to hit up HWY 33 on the MT, rode it once on my RC390 and that was REALLY fun. Still trying to get used to really leaning the MT into corners, it feels more resistant to it that the RC did. I live up HWY 154 so that's my daily commute to campus, which i'm pretty happy about. Been trying to ride most days of the week since it's nice out. Once I have some time off in a week i plan on branching out to different areas to get my fix before I disappear again for 3 months and stick to 154.
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






Quote:
Originally Posted by i28 View Post
Welcome!
I still think the FZ-07's are cooler than the MT-07's

I was just talking to a buddy who's at that school. What's your major?
Ha! Not a biased opinion at all. I like the FZ's but I can't argue with having a new bike and 5-year warranty right now. My KTM was a constant headache with valves and random oil leaks and id rather ride than wrench on my days off because free time is rare.

I'm majoring in Aquatic Biology and Minoring in Geology. I don't hang out on campus much though, I'm a student veteran so I'm older than most students there, also kinda done with the party scene. I do try and creep the moto parking and meet people - no one is ever around when I'm there. Does your buddy ride, I might know his bike.
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespz03 View Post
Hello and welcome. How do you like your MT? Do you ever take it to the track? I plan to upgrade to it next year.
I have not taken it to the track. I got a RC390 thinking I would do track days and then remembered that I'm a poor college student so traded it for the MT to have a daily and fun weekend bike.

I want to do a track day eventually, but I will probably just get a track only bike at that point (in an alternate future where i have $$) haha R6's are everywhere used tho...

Take this with a grain of salt because I have never done a track day, but I feel like the MT suspension would be kinda sketchy on a track?? I would want the front suspension to be much stiffer.
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
i28
knight who says Ni!
 
i28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glendale, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 362

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07









Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdercycle View Post
Ha! Not a biased opinion at all. I like the FZ's but I can't argue with having a new bike and 5-year warranty right now. My KTM was a constant headache with valves and random oil leaks and id rather ride than wrench on my days off because free time is rare.

I'm majoring in Aquatic Biology and Minoring in Geology. I don't hang out on campus much though, I'm a student veteran so I'm older than most students there, also kinda done with the party scene. I do try and creep the moto parking and meet people - no one is ever around when I'm there. Does your buddy ride, I might know his bike.

Agreed.
Nice, another scientist!
My buddy's a physics major and doesn't ride.

If you're ever down in LA, let me know. I'm usually in my own "school vertex" and don't get much time to ride.

I did take my FZ to the track once but that was after I had fixed up my forks. I remember the pogo feel before that. Apparently, the MT-07's are supposed to be a little bit better but I guess it's still not good enough.
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






Ive heard lots of people say itís better on the MT but having only ridden a GSXR 600 and the RC390 before this bike and knowing how the stiffer suspension feels, this oneís just gonna take me time to get used to. Just hit 600mi today! Haha I need to do the 1st service - but the weather!!!!! Decisions.
I can say that the ďfluffierĒ suspension actually boosts my confidence in the turns where the road is not as smooth. The RC felt like that back tire was gonna vibrate off the bike lol

What school are you at? Studying?
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #16
i28
knight who says Ni!
 
i28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glendale, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 362

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07









Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdercycle View Post
Ive heard lots of people say itís better on the MT but having only ridden a GSXR 600 and the RC390 before this bike and knowing how the stiffer suspension feels, this oneís just gonna take me time to get used to. Just hit 600mi today! Haha I need to do the 1st service - but the weather!!!!! Decisions.
I can say that the ďfluffierĒ suspension actually boosts my confidence in the turns where the road is not as smooth. The RC felt like that back tire was gonna vibrate off the bike lol

What school are you at? Studying?
Yeah, I just remember my suspension, brakes, and tires right before the changes and it was a little sketchy (even as my first bike)
The weather has been much better lately, lol. On the bright side, oil changes are a cinch with a standard bike.

I teach math at a couple of community colleges in the LA area.
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #17
Nerdercycle
Member
 
Nerdercycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2018 Yamaha MT-07
2015 KTM RC390 (Sold)
2007 YZ250F
2011 KX125






Quote:
Originally Posted by i28 View Post
Yeah, I just remember my suspension, brakes, and tires right before the changes and it was a little sketchy (even as my first bike)
The weather has been much better lately, lol. On the bright side, oil changes are a cinch with a standard bike.

I teach math at a couple of community colleges in the LA area.
The Maths! Yeah - I thought that was gonna was be the subject that got me, but Organic Chemistry is for sure the one killing me slowly.

I ended up loving Calculus. Especially with maximization problems - using algebra to solve those is like taking the city bus during rush hour with no air conditioning. Using derivatives to solve them is taking a Ferrari to work.

Yeah the dealership is hooking me up on first service, (oil and valves) so I just have to schedule a drop off - Iím hesitant. I was a mechanic for 9 years before UCSB so Iím super picky. If I find a hose routed wrong Iíll be annoyed, or valve cover gasket pinched, rounding off bolts, stripping screws..... not all mechanics are created equal there are a lot of sloppy ones. Itís all easy stuff but still... Iím sure it will be fine they seem good. I just know exactly what they have to remove to get to valves so Iím like ďthereís so much to mess up!Ē Iím psyching myself out now ... Iím gonna stop. Lol
Nerdercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #18
i28
knight who says Ni!
 
i28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glendale, CA
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 362

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 FZ-07









Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdercycle View Post
The Maths! Yeah - I thought that was gonna was be the subject that got me, but Organic Chemistry is for sure the one killing me slowly.

I ended up loving Calculus. Especially with maximization problems - using algebra to solve those is like taking the city bus during rush hour with no air conditioning. Using derivatives to solve them is taking a Ferrari to work.

Yeah the dealership is hooking me up on first service, (oil and valves) so I just have to schedule a drop off - Iím hesitant. I was a mechanic for 9 years before UCSB so Iím super picky. If I find a hose routed wrong Iíll be annoyed, or valve cover gasket pinched, rounding off bolts, stripping screws..... not all mechanics are created equal there are a lot of sloppy ones. Itís all easy stuff but still... Iím sure it will be fine they seem good. I just know exactly what they have to remove to get to valves so Iím like ďthereís so much to mess up!Ē Iím psyching myself out now ... Iím gonna stop. Lol

My roomie was a chem major. He was known as the "chemicyst"
I agree, calculus does have a certain beauty (and a certain pain)

alright, man. I'll shoot you my info if case you're ever around my neck of the woods
i28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Advertisement



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM.


socalsportbikes.org is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy