socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
franco802
Forum Supporter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha FZ09
2008 Harley Davidson Night Rod

Its very bumpy, slow, won't turn, stop or accelerate anywhere near the monster. The monster would decimate the iron. It's a Harley, made for cruising. This one was torquey, but so is the Duc.

This was my first street motorcycle. Purchased it new. Actually purchased it before I took the MSF, even before riding at all. If I could do it over, I wouldn't of purchased it. Harley just wasn't my thing in the end. I purchased my R1 two months after the Harley. After that, I only rode it one more time before selling it. Sold it with only 192 miles on it. The only nice thing was, I got all my money back. Harleys do hold their value. This one at the time was very hard to find in that color. So people were willing to pay more, even used. It did look like a very cool bike though.

I would recommend you ride both. Just to see how they feel. The good thing about the Harley was that it got about 50 mpg.

Last edited by franco802; 06-25-2013 at 07:45 AM.
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #22
mariorivera830
That guy...

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'12 Ninja 250 (The Wasp)

Member Garage Member Garage

Ok. Looks (as bad as that bike looks) can only take a girl so far right? This was the only real competition for the monster. I want to get a bigger bike in January but don't want to go too big. I'm too dumb and if it's there, I will try to use everything I can on a liter bike. No self control, I've tried to quit smoking like every year. This year for sure! Thanks for some real world input.
mariorivera830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #23
franco802
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha FZ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
Ok. Looks (as bad as that bike looks) can only take a girl so far right? This was the only real competition for the monster. I want to get a bigger bike in January but don't want to go too big. I'm too dumb and if it's there, I will try to use everything I can on a liter bike. No self control, I've tried to quit smoking like every year. This year for sure! Thanks for some real world input.
Didn't want to shoot down your two up dream, but unless you and your girl weigh 110 lbs each, I wouldn't even bother riding two up on it. The bike would bottom out with just myself on it. I weighed 218 when I started riding it. I hit a hard to see dip in the road so hard one time, it almost threw me off the bike.

If your going to ride two up, you will need to replace the junk rear stockers with rear Progressive shocks, which run about $350. You will also have to buy a seat for two people, which will cost you another $200.

Another thing is, the stupid football looking air filter makes it impossible to grip the tank with your legs.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
mariorivera830
That guy...

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'12 Ninja 250 (The Wasp)

It's all good. Um as far as weight goes.... Let's just say that I'd be too heavy for it if you had problems. I guess it ducati for me then. Plus my wife isn't keen on the riding just yet. It took me 10 years to convince her to let me buy a 250!
mariorivera830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
franco802
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha FZ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
It's all good. Um as far as weight goes.... Let's just say that I'd be too heavy for it if you had problems. I guess it ducati for me then. Plus my wife isn't keen on the riding just yet. It took me 10 years to convince her to let me buy a 250!
Lol, yeah my girl hasn't rode with me either yet. But then again, I have never rode two up on a real motorcycle before.

You can buy whatever you want, I'm just here to let you know my experience. I am in no way trying to steer you away from buying what you like. One thing I know about the newer Harleys is that they are supposed to be way more reliable than they use to. I believe it because I have a friend who has a 2010 883 with 85k on it and has done nothing but normal maintenance. Never had a problem. He purchased another one 6 months ago and already has 27k on it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
steal44

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2013 CBR500R

My dad bought that same make and model just yesterday. He loves it. The colors not black its amber. It looks so sweet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
steal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
The Wolf
Banned

Bike(s):
'12 KTM RC8R
'13 KTM 500XCW

man i remember my harley.. i a lot of fun on mine. my chick and i could be in vegas drinking beers and feel like we teleported haha. too much fun for 2 up cruising and adventures.

i would recommend only buying used and not dumping a ton of money into them though. they hold their stock value as long as they look newish, have low miles and harley doesnt come out with a "all new and improved" model. i lost my on my harley. i dropped about $30k on mine, ended up selling it for $14,200 after months of waiting. about 200 less than i paid for it.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #28
franco802
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha FZ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
man i remember my harley.. i a lot of fun on mine. my chick and i could be in vegas drinking beers and feel like we teleported haha. too much fun for 2 up cruising and adventures.

i would recommend only buying used and not dumping a ton of money into them though. they hold their stock value as long as they look newish, have low miles and harley doesnt come out with a "all new and improved" model. i lost my on my harley. i dropped about $30k on mine, ended up selling it for $14,200 after months of waiting. about 200 less than i paid for it.
Problem with buying used it they cost almost as much as new. Depending on model. I at the time wanted a newer Iron 883. I looked at the 2010's and they were going for $7700+. New they were $7998. So I just got a new one. The true thing about dumping a ton of money in them is, you definitely won't get it back. The aftermarket stuff just doesn't raise the value at all.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #29
The Wolf
Banned

Bike(s):
'12 KTM RC8R
'13 KTM 500XCW

well theres more to the poor resale value of built harleys than what could be explained here. my take on it, harley over saturated their market a few years ago. they marketed and sold soooo many bikes to people that thought they wanted them, that when those people realized that they didnt actually want the bike, it went straight onto the used market. the supply to demand was so disproportionate that the used market crumbled to dirt cheap prices and that in turn affected the new market. a bike that sold new for $20k OTD two years prior, would end up selling for $16k newOTD with a bigger motor, 6speed trans and an extended warranty.

Your harley in particular i think may not apply to what im saying. its an entry level commuter type bike that will always appeal the same demographic/market. therefore it should hold its value considering the low price to obtain it. for the higher priced bikes, ie:heritage softail and up, harley killed its used market. there was a time when a clean customized used harley could sell for a good amount, but not when a new bikes are selling for less then used.

under no circumstance is buying a harley a good investment at this point. however, i am fond of the new victory bikes. they are twice the bike a harley is technologically, look better and sell for less.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #30
Big Ben
Riverside Rider

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
03 Triumph Speed Four

Dude, Nice Bike!
Big Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #31
Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Still waiting to hear how Mushin's lil bro is liking his...
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:44 AM   #32
SophieWillow

I'd start with its power. Its a good run for your money. Never dissapointing
SophieWillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement