socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Scuuuba_Steve

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha RZF-R1
1989 Yamaha XT600
2011 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6 (stolen)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)

Member Garage Member Garage

How to remove Exup valve, 2016 R1

Anyone know how to do this? Is it simple? Can anyone explain how to do it properly so I don't get a check engine light? Thank you.
Scuuuba_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Did you already install an aftermarket ?

If you don't want to spend money on buying some servo buddy then simply just remove the cables from the Unit and leave it plugged in. You won't get a code because the ECM will still think that the valve is in place.
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Scuuuba_Steve

Bike(s):
2014 Yamaha RZF-R1
1989 Yamaha XT600
2011 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6 (stolen)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)

I did. My girlfriend has the same exact exhaust on her 636 and hers is louder. Much louder. She said when she had it installed the guy removed the Exup cables or something and it made a huge difference in sound. I love the way her bike sounds so I want to do the same. I know different bikes sound different but there's no way a 636 should be louder than an R1.

If I remove the cables it has the same effect?

Thanks for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl zx6 View Post
Did you already install an aftermarket ?

If you don't want to spend money on buying some servo buddy then simply just remove the cables from the Unit and leave it plugged in. You won't get a code because the ECM will still think that the valve is in place.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Scuuuba_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

636's will always sound better than an R1 lol.

Anyhow the valve shouldn't even be working anymore. all after market pipes don't have a valve on them. What type of exaust did you purchase? Do you have any pictures of it installed?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
FightingChance

Bike(s):
2007 CBR-600RR
1998 VFR800

I think the exup valve is further towards the catalytic converter in the middle of the pipe. The end can is straight through as far as I know.

If you undo the cables that operate the valve, the valve should stay sprung open. Though the ECU tuning makes power down low by using the valve, so it may feel like you have a big flat spot where you didn't before you unhooked the valve.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Pearl zx6
Still Slow

Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
I think the exup valve is further towards the catalytic converter in the middle of the pipe. The end can is straight through as far as I know.

If you undo the cables that operate the valve, the valve should stay sprung open. Though the ECU tuning makes power down low by using the valve, so it may feel like you have a big flat spot where you didn't before you unhooked the valve.
Fc is completely right, I just looked at a oem R1 exaust and the valve is right behind the cat.

Just buy a cat eliminator pipe and your bike will be way louder than the 636. I would also recommend getting your ECM tuned, not super crucial but it will keep everything running really smooth.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
+1

The GSXR 1000 had the exhaust valve removed, and was basically a straight-pipe when I purchased it. It was loud as f**k, and was terrible to ride.

It could leave a light, and worked well at the top end, but between 2,500 and 7,000 RPM it was dreadful.

I eBayed a new valve and got some spare exhaust parts, making it nice to ride, again.

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
never2big
be[a]racer

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2008 ZX10R

Once you do all your mods i recommend a custom flash..itll make your bike run better and you can eliminate any codes...plus a lot of other cool shet
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Cypherblade
Forum Supporter

Trackdays: 1

2003 Yamaha R1 R.I.P
09 Ninja 650R R.I.P
1983 Honda Shadow 750
1984 Honda Shadow 700 (sold for Parts)

what i did to my R1 was take the mid section off the exhaust, take out the flaps from the exup and used bolts and washers to cover up the holes left by the flaps, reinstalled the exhaust, removed the cables from the servo but still have the servo attached, i get no FI light and no worrying about buying the servo eliminator
Cypherblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
trident777

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR, 2008 GSXR600

I need to remove mine as well as I have a FI light due to C46 (exhaust servo malfunction), still riding it that way as I haven't gotten to it yet. To be honest now the bike response actually feels better after servo malfunction LOL, go figure.

I was thinking of buying the servo buddy, but it's $60 or so and I would be if I spend that money and it does not work to get rid of my light. Not sure if I would be able to return it.
trident777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #11
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

The servo buddy is basically a resistor to fool the system into thinking the servo is still attached. You could put resistors in yourself for a few dollars and I'm sure there are write-ups on your bike's specific forum. On my R6 I used a servo buddy to save weight but on the WR250R, I just left the servo in and removed the cables.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement