socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Site Vendors > Riders Revelation
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
Mr.Wolf
Madness, Just Madness

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha R1
09 BMW F800 GS (Sold)
11 CBR 600rr (Totaled)
05 Yamaha R1

Had Valves done and tune up on 3/18/15 :thumb:

So here is the back story, I had taken my bike to shop called Motorcycle Tech (Here where it is 1710 W Foothill Blvd,Ste D14,Upland, CA 91786). I had a good buddy recommend that shop to me to get the valves done. Well they did the valves for $350 and said everything is fixed and running good. They also said they replaced 3 shims. Turns out I didn't even get 5 blocks away before I found out my wire harness had been cut. My brights would freak out and the bike would ground it self out. I turn around and took it back to the shop right away and made them fix it. Less than a 1000 miles go by and I can hear the valves hitting and making a awful noise. I look for a shop I can trust and go to and I find Riders Revelation on this forum. I take my chances and tow my bike to the shop which is 100 miles away from me. They reassure me that they will take care of the bike. When they took at look at the bike they found out the valves were never done, and 12 of them were way out of spec. The wire hardness was still cut and they did a job (Motorcycle Tech) and I was also missing bolts from my rear brake rotor, left fairing and gas tank mount. Riders Revelation did a very good job on fixing all the problems I had. They are a motorcycle shop I now can trust, even though they are 100 miles away. They even offered to help me when I drove the bike home and my stator blew up on me. He offered to fixed the bike and bring it back down to the shop and fix it, but I told him I knew how to fix that part. He gave me some advice on cleaning the motor out and how to fix it. Bottom line is, if I have anymore problems with my bike that I can't fix Riders Revelation is the shop I will go to now.

NEVER EVER GO TO MOTORCYCLE TECH!

Wire harness half fixed from them

Bad stator

Mr.Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Bigdcbr600rr

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Cbr600rr

That sucks bro sorry to here that :/ ya motorcycle tech has never had a good rap around my hood of Claremont/Upland... I hear a law suit coming?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Mr.Wolf
Madness, Just Madness

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha R1
09 BMW F800 GS (Sold)
11 CBR 600rr (Totaled)
05 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdcbr600rr View Post
That sucks bro sorry to here that :/ ya motorcycle tech has never had a good rap around my hood of Claremont/Upland... I hear a law suit coming?
Yes Sir, My lawyer is talking to the BBB and BAR about them. The only good thing about this whole problem is if it didn't happen I wouldn't have found Riders Revelation.
Mr.Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Brooklyn86
Mateo

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2017 Aprilia RSV4
2005 Suzuki GSX-R750

Member Garage Member Garage

Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad the bike is now running good.

Yea, RR is definitely worth the drive IMO.

Ride safe, bro
Brooklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Fishbowl

This is why I quit taking my bikes to shops all together. You never can tell (in most cases) if they even did the work and if they did, it's not being done by factory-certified people like it's supposed to. I found they generally have one factory-certified tech and the rest are underlings who do most of the work. They charge you like the factory guy was on your bike the whole time though.

that.

I do a better job all by myself in my own garage. That's how these shops are.

Took a piston from my FZ1 that we recently rebuilt to the local YAMAHA shop. The head mechanic hardly knew what he was looking at. Because no one ever pays them to go that deep into an engine, I had to explain to HIM how it was assembled and what my problem was. Ended up walking out with more questions than what I started with.

Even if I something up and I have to go back and redo it, I'll do a better job in the long run than these retarded shops. Plus I will and have learned a TON along the way.

Last edited by Fishbowl; 04-08-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
opelmanz

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
1989 Suzuki GSX750F - sold 2016
1991 FZR600R - sold 2009

I went to the shop the other day to ask for availability on parts. Just a few simple parts, an intake valve and exhaust valve and a piston. now the guy behind the desk didn't seem to be stoned or drunk in fact I think he was quite lucid, but mentally incapable of processing my simple parts lookup request. I think I must have repeated the parts I needed at least 3 to 5 times.

Not to mention that all the parts were in ludicrously more expensive than anything I could find on eBay not too surprisingly but I thought I would at least try to see if spending money with a local business was a viable option.

I also tried calling a local salvage yard recently who kept me on hold for 5 minutes then told me they would call me back later when they discovered whether or not parts were available, and that was 2 days ago.

I may not be the best mechanic, but I've never met a bike I couldn't get running and between my skills and ebay I'm sure I can do better than the morons I keep finding.
opelmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
apogee

Did you ask for your money back? Did you ask them to pay the bill to have the bike repaired?
apogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Venom RC-51

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC-51
RZ350

Thanks for sharing your troubles with us man, I had a similar problem with an actual Honda Dealer (in Oxnard) when I took in my precious VF1000R for a valve adjustment (yes I am showing my age) Rode off happy, until started rattling and clicking took it back and they said they did it right and i must have done something wrong! Anyways I ended up taking it to a tiny one man shop called Omo and Sons and they basically rebuilt most of my top end (IT WAS A GEAR DRIVEN V-4) and showed me what was wrong and let me be present during the teardown etc, I took pictures and eventually went to the Dealers owner and threatened them. They ended up paying for everything plus $1000 extra for the trouble and fired the mechanic, but I never went there again and learned to do everything myself and now I am my own mechanic.

Last edited by Venom RC-51; 04-23-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Venom RC-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
thtanner
VFR Rider

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
14 VFR800 FE
98 VFR800 FI
86 Vulcan 750

I'd be sending the bill for your repair, accompanied by a nice letter on a lawyer's letterhead requesting they take care of the bill promptly.
thtanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement