socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
MotoMike

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
2008 SXV 4.5
2015 RC390 (Sold)
2013 Street Triple R (Sold)
2010 K1300GT (Sold)

Thumbs up Wheelie University

My FJ-09 is the first bike I've owned that really wants the front wheel off the ground from time to time. I wanted to help her out, but I sucked at it. I found wheelie university a month or two ago. It was based in the san diego area, so I signed up for the 1 day class. (https://www.wheelieuniversity.com/)

You use their bikes (street triples) with a special device that prevents the rider from launching higher than the instructor sets it to. Brian (owner/instructor) invented this himself.

I got to the Barona Drag strip around 8am. (temp got down to 40 in the Warner Springs area, I was toasty though, thanks Gerbings! lol)

He starts off with an orientation and letting everyone sit on a bike that is pitched up to the balance point, secured to a custom ramp.

There were 8 students and 2 bikes. 2 students ride at a time getting feedback with each pass. As each student progresses, he increases the allowed pitch accordingly. Each riding session is pretty intense, physically and mentally. The rest between sessions is a good thing.

This turned out to be a really great way to learn, not to mention much fun and a lot more safe than when I was trying on my own.

Snacks, drinks, & lunch were provided.

Normally he has another helper but today his help couldn't stay today. He worked his off to give attention to the riders, setup lunch, take pictures, etc... and it didn't feel like any detail was lacking. We went till 5pm.

Significant improvement from the beginning of the day to the end was achieved by all students. It was a great experience, I highly recommend it.

We were all wondering how the price for 8 students per month covers all the overhead of the track, equipment, wear on the bikes, tires, fuel, food, travel, etc... From what I gathered, resourcefulness and creative budgeting makes it happen. Right now it's more about a passion to teach wheelies.

I'm not affiliated, I just had a blast and wanted to spread the word.

Oh yeah, and he love take-offs. (17" 180 or 190) There is usually enough meat in the middle to do what the bikes need to do in the class... in case anyone has a source or wants to send them somewhere other than a dump so soon.

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-24-2015 at 11:06 PM.
MotoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Fordfreak300

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750
Special construction Harley

I actually drag race at Barona. The people that run that track are very passionate about Motorsports. I'm assuming you were in the staging area for your riding? I never intentionally ride a wheelie on my bike. It will power the front wheel up in 1st if I get on it hard and it will in 2nd if I power shift it. My bike is pretty balanced and it sets it right back down smooth. I used to ride wheelies all the time when've was younger, now that I'm older not so much. It's good you took a class to help you learn. I learned on dirt bikes and that's a little more forgiving wen you go over than on a street bike and land on the hard pavement.
Fordfreak300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
MotoMike

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
2008 SXV 4.5
2015 RC390 (Sold)
2010 K1300GT (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak300 View Post
I actually drag race at Barona. The people that run that track are very passionate about Motorsports. I'm assuming you were in the staging area for your riding? I never intentionally ride a wheelie on my bike. It will power the front wheel up in 1st if I get on it hard and it will in 2nd if I power shift it. My bike is pretty balanced and it sets it right back down smooth. I used to ride wheelies all the time when've was younger, now that I'm older not so much. It's good you took a class to help you learn. I learned on dirt bikes and that's a little more forgiving wen you go over than on a street bike and land on the hard pavement.
I honestly don't know what the staging area is. I thought we were on the actual track. We rode from just beyond the burnout area to the west side of the strip. Back and forth.

You mention 'older' .. I'm 38 and interestingly enough, more than half the class was well older than me. (a couple spine surgeons, a real estate developer, & tech industry folks) I think to them, and myself, it's more about taking the passion and skill for motorcycles to the next level. If their motivations are anything like my own, it's more of a personal journey and desire to be able to control the beast at a higher level than traditional training provides.

Also, I said they use street triples, they are actually speed triples. I used to own a street triple and it just flows off my finger tips.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
Fordfreak300

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Sounds like you were on the track. I wasn't meaning anything against anyone else when I said now that I'm older I don't ride wheelies much any more. I was only speaking about me personally. My bike pulls the front wheel off the ground in first and second pretty easily under full throttle exceleration but not what I would really call doing a wheelie. When in was a kid in my 20s I would ride wheelies for blocks just because I could. I actually think you taking the class is an awesome idea. I wasn't trying to down play it. In sorry if it came off that way.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
Jeffg

Bike(s):
2013 gsx r
2013 KTM duke
2002 Harley Dyna lowridee

Hey? Mikem? We gonna ride when I get my bike fixed? You remember me and jaker and you rode that one day?
Jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
MotoMike

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
2008 SXV 4.5
2015 RC390 (Sold)
2010 K1300GT (Sold)

No worries fordfreak, didn't come across the wrong way. Just commenting because an older group wasn't something I was expecting myself.

Good luck with the bike Jeff, I'll keep an eye on the events forum.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 AM   #7
MotoMike

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
2008 SXV 4.5
2015 RC390 (Sold)
2010 K1300GT (Sold)

edit: forum posted a duplicate of the last post and i can't delete this

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-26-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Fordfreak300

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

I'm 43 and it sounds like fun to me.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
SgtMojo

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 ZX-10R

Member Garage Member Garage

That looks awesome! I'll be going in 2016. Thanks for sharing the info.
SgtMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
Dave Edwards
Forum Supporter

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2015 Triumph Daytona
2014 Honda CBR500R - Sold
1982 Suzuki GS450E - Sold

Me too, looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing.
Dave Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Brooklyn86
Mateo

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2017 Aprilia RSV4
2005 Suzuki GSX-R750

Member Garage Member Garage

Anyone else sign up for this? Feel like the cost of the class was worth it?

Anyone heard of the Superbike-Coach wheelie course? https://www.superbike-coach.com/portf...wheelie-course

This course is only $180 and you use your own bike vs wheelie university using their bike.

I like the idea of using someone else's bike that is rigged to not loop, just wondering how easily I can transfer the skills to my own bike (gsxr 750).
Brooklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #12
Rocket
Hero

Trackdays: 10+

Cool Twisty road day with ~ Inland Empire Sport Riders *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak300 View Post

I'm 43 and it
sounds like