socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
thepretender

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

Is forum death Imminent ?

Looks like OCmoto is dead is socalsportbikes far behind?
Seems a waste of a once vibrant community. BARF a bike forum in San Francisco is still viable but there is talk of it slowing down also. :(
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Mr. Blue

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6 & WR250R
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
MadMax
Part Deux

Bike(s):
2014 675R
2008 R6 (Totaled)
2005 R6 (Sold)
2003 R6 (Stolen)

You have to go riding solo to feel like you're actually in a active world. Smh.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6 & WR250R
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

I hate to say it but looks like most people are headed to Facebook groups.
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
motodad

Bike(s):
2017 KTM Adv 1090 R
2016 KTM Duke 690

in NorCal there is BARF and SBR (southbayriders).

i was never a very active member of BARF but i have always been a very active member of SBR for over 10 years. very few active members these days.

when i moved to SoCal i tried to find an equivalent and had hoped i found it here....
motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

Facebook is the opiate of the masses and poison of the worst kind.
Liked this post:
Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
CashIs Clay

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R

Member Garage Member Garage

Unfortunately I have had the same feeling regarding the future of these forums.

I'm really not sure what happened; I'm thinking maybe the rise of Twitter and FB/IG caused a mass exodus from the web forum format. For me personally there is just way too much chaos on those social platforms; between bot accounts and over sharing of info and general pettiness between users (see any political thread) it feels like you're barely even interacting with real humans anymore. At least when trolls show up in these forums you know it's a real person with a real life behind those post, not just someone looking to go "viral" or a robot account from Russia.

5 years ago all of these moto forums were very active (for example zx.com, zx6r.com, BARF, etc...(ever since the movie "Split" I love saying 'etcetera')) but now most of the interaction on those sites is either trackday/racing "updates", mechanical queries, build threads, or classified ads. It doesn't seem like anyone is interested in the community/group riding/finding new riding buds, etc... aspect of the forums, which is what I think drove most of the site traffic.

I may just be biased but for those who remember AlexZX6R, it seems like after he passed away the traffic on all moto forums just started dwindling. It's like that dude carried the entire moto internet forum community on his back (I know that's not possible but superstition etc...)

It's really too bad because I used to really enjoy the interactions on this site in particular. Just the pics of group rides and little bike upgrades, and the buffoonery was all very refreshing, especially after a long ride and then logging in to chat about it and let everyone know you're glad they made it ok (it's very easy to die or get seriously injured in this sport etc..). We had a decent little community going for a bit and I hope that someday something triggers all those who stopped participating to get active again.

TL;DR - Yea probably.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
CashIs Clay

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Can you elaborate on this thought?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
mikesx4911

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)

Quote:
ewww facebook
mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
MrGreen

Bike(s):
2014 Ninja 1000

Vehicle specific forums seem to be doing ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
MadMax
Part Deux

Bike(s):
2014 675R
2008 R6 (Totaled)
2005 R6 (Sold)
2003 R6 (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashIs Clay View Post
Can you elaborate on this thought?
All I'm saying is I got tired of waiting for rides or people to go ride with...going solo was definitely the fix for me.

I've just joined Tonit APP for riders just like Insta but looks like it's still new?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #12
CashIs Clay

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R

Quote:
All I'm saying is I got tired of waiting for rides or people to go ride with...going solo was definitely the fix for me.

I've just joined Tonit APP for riders just like Insta but looks like it's still new?
Yep; I agree 100%. It's been solo rides for me for a while now; I'll have to check out that app though.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #13
MurdaJ

Bike(s):
98 CBR900R

I think I may have been the last post on OCMOTO. I posted up one night about my bike being back up and running, checked it in the AM and the site was gone.

Anyways, forums are dying, besides the OGs that remember the tech and meet ups.

Social media has replaced the forums, and it's a downgrade IMO
MurdaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #14
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

I wasn't sure this site was still alive. I haven't been here in long time or had a ride in forever (life stuff has been in the way), Something urged me to just log in today. And I first saw this post so just wanted, for the record, to say that I agree forum things have changed but for me it wasn't because of social media FB at all. ................

................hopefully soon I'll be back on ole Violet, scootin up ACH like old times. It's open to Wrightwood now but still have to take the long way to Newcombs........

PS Solo rides are ok and you can always meet others at the regular spots.

PSS ACH is so different at night in a cage...........I've seen stuff man.......
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #15
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Personally, I think Alex's death was a turning point for this forum. He was a huge figure on this board, posting more than anybody and keeping many of us involved in the discussions and motivated for meetups.
That alone would have been a huge loss for this board (and for many of us that considered him a friend). But also, the fact that he died riding Ortega almost immediately ended the entire Ortega riding community here at SCSB.

The world lost a really positive human being that day, and the board lost a huge chunk of its soul.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
thepretender

Bike(s):
2025 BMW S1000R
2014 Honda VFR
2002 Yamaha VMAX

There may still be some life in OCMOTO so somebody it beating on its chest trying to revive it. But the problem remains. The loss of community is real and we need to fight it. I don't think facebook ect. are replacing the moto community we had directly but distracting and demanding computer time such that people don't have the time or need to check in on the forums. This and people having smaller groups they ride with and less need for riding partners. I'm sure there are other social pressures that are at work also. Somehow I think "identity politics" the idea that anybody who doesn't agree with an idea 100% should be avoided is playing a role but but not sure exactly how. The loss of Alex probably accelerated the slowdown of this forum but it was clearly headed this way already.

So if you value the community we once had participate post your opinions start a
thread, post pictures get some rides together.
Liked this post:
Old 06-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
CashIs Clay

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Personally, I think Alex's death was a turning point for this forum. He was a huge figure on this board, posting more than anybody and keeping many of us involved in the discussions and motivated for meetups.
That alone would have been a huge loss for this board (and for many of us that considered him a friend). But also, the fact that he died riding Ortega almost immediately ended the entire Ortega riding community here at SCSB.

The world lost a really positive human being that day, and the board lost a huge chunk of its soul.
Sadly this. But let's keep his memory alive here on the forum and continue on in his honor.

I still wear his Scorpion jacket every ride and the Q3s he gave me still have a couple thousand miles on them. His goodwill was astonishing.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #18
CashIs Clay

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
There may still be some life in OCMOTO so somebody it beating on its chest trying to revive it. But the problem remains. The loss of community is real and we need to fight it. I don't think facebook ect. are replacing the moto community we had directly but distracting and demanding computer time such that people don't have the time or need to check in on the forums. This and people having smaller groups they ride with and less need for riding partners. I'm sure there are other social pressures that are at work also. Somehow I think "identity politics" the idea that anybody who doesn't agree with an idea 100% should be avoided is playing a role but but not sure exactly how. The loss of Alex probably accelerated the slowdown of this forum but it was clearly headed this way already.

So if you value the community we once had participate post your opinions start a
thread, post pictures get some rides together.
So much truth in this post with the social politics factor. Hopefully we can all put that aside here and rally around what we ALL have in common...motorcycles and riding them. Everything else let's leave for the other social media platforms I say.

BTW I believe that the motorcycle picture game is still wide open if anyone happens to live near a marquee jump on it before I do!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #19
BugsyClarkdale

Bike(s):
14 1199s "Sophia"
2016 FZ 07

+1 on the Identity Politics. Seems like people look for a reason to argue or be mad instead of having fun and enjoying life.
BugsyClarkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #20
Ungarisch

Bike(s):
Honda RC51
KTM 625SMC
KTM 380EXC
Kawasaki Z1000
Husqvarna TE630

The way I see it, it's the Gen-X'ers (those in our 30s and 40s) that grew up on internet forums that mostly still use it. The younger generation, those just now reaching riding age are turning to meetup "apps" and social media platforms for social interaction. The other day I went out riding with my young neighbor and they were all coordinating the meetup spot via some chat app and live location sharing where they saw where each one was in real time to make sure everyone was OK. To them, coordinating a group meetup via an internet forum is probably analogous to printing out MapQuest directions to Newcombs.

Also, probably a large majority of us gen-x'ers now have kids, wives and lives. As much as I want to, I can no longer spend all 52 weekends out of the year wrenching and riding.
Ungarisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement