socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
BMW-K

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
F800GS
Triumph 765 RS
WR250R

One Picture, One Story.

The rules are simple: Post one picture...and one short story to go with it! Anything goes...as long as it's ride related!

In 2009 my beloved wife and I took what I consider the greatest and most life-changing ride in my life: Alaska! 6,300 miles on bikes in the Great Adventured Land. We saw bears, moose, The High One (Denali), tire changes in a parking lot and even cracked ribs.

There's not one moment of that trip I cannot remember the sight, smell and sounds of. Every memory is the greatest! Knee dragging to the Mountains - West to East: that trip was the greatest.

So, how about you? Track days to Tours! Where have you been?
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Sport-touring Central America, 1984. I was a young punk, 18 years old and afraid of nothing, riding solo on the cheap. I took this shot in some small town near Oaxaca, where I'd just gotten a flat repaired.

I made it as far as Panama City before heading back to El Norte.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Member Garage Member Garage

December 2014. Miles, BMW-K and I were leaving the Parkfield Cafe, headed towards our next stop, Coalinga. We wanted to head out to the Parkfield-Coalinga road. It's a lovely road, up across the hillside. It had been raining before, and as the road is mostly unpaved, we were discussing concerns amongst ourselves.

A truck came from the other way. We asked the driver about the road conditions. The driver said something like: It's pretty good except for about a half mile of mud. But once you're through that, it's all okay.

Miles and BMW-K made it through, but I found the magic mud that got caught up in my front wheel/front fender, and made the bike come to a complete stop. It would not budge an inch.

Exasperated, I was using a stick to try and the dislodge mud from my front wheel area. I got it just barely moving, and Miles helped push while BMW-K stood aside providing immoral support.

Shortly after this pic, Miles hopped on the bike, certain that he knew a better path than the one I'd chosen. (he was right). He rode it the remaining 1,000 feet or so, to point where the mud ended.

The truck driver was quite accurate. It was only a half-mile or so, and the road was beautiful after this point.

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6 & WR250R
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX

Solo ride to Big Sur without using highways, or at least with as little highways as possible. A lot of the roads I chose on the map ended up being unpaved (which was fun) but I wimped out due to fuel and heat concerns (it was over 110 degrees) and picked up more hwys than I wanted. Made it to Big Sur and found an epic camp site despite a few locked gates. After that rode up the coast to San Fran and met up with some friends. Awesome trip overall, definitely need to do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Sur.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	73524  
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
BMW-K

Bike(s):
F800GS
Triumph 765 RS
WR250R

Blue, that is a SOLID picture! Thank you for sharing your story!
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
monkeyfist

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2016 ZX636r
1996 GPZ 1100
1994 RM250r

I camped with a buddy near Goosenecks State Park at Muley Point. The views were amazing. We saw clouds rolling in over monument valley and got some great photos.

That night I slept through a terrifying lightning storm. We had lightning striking all around us and the thunder was shaking the ground. After the storm passed I poked my head out of the tent and asked my buddy if he was still alive. That was the most epic motorcycle trip I have taken to date.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3518.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	73526  
monkeyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Solo ride to Big Sur without using highways, or at least with as little highways as possible. A lot of the roads I chose on the map ended up being unpaved (which was fun) but I wimped out due to fuel and heat concerns (it was over 110 degrees) and picked up more hwys than I wanted. Made it to Big Sur and found an epic camp site despite a few locked gates. After that rode up the coast to San Fran and met up with some friends. Awesome trip overall, definitely need to do it again.
My vote for a SCSB 2019 Calendar submission right there!
hbwesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Big_Panda
Forum Supporter

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2004 Honda VFR800
1991 Harley Davidson FLHS
2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory SE
2001 GSXR-750 (Track only)

Name:	IMG_7002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	73527

A lot of people remember this from not too long ago. Was on ACH in the last few turns before coming to Mt. High. The back back tire stepped out on an easy turn, thought it was a freak weird ice patch or something. Next turn the tire stepped out again in the opposite direction in full sun light so i knew it wasn't ice (and it really wasn't cold and it was summer but ice was the only thing I could think of at the time). When I came down the straight to Mt. High my buddy who had comms with me was yelling at me to turn the bike off. When I got off this is what I saw. Oil filter had failed and spewed oil all over the rear tire and road right in front of the rear tire as I was riding. Left an oil trail for several hundred behind the bike. Pretty lucky I didn't go down!

Just a few months ago K&N put out a recall on these oil filters. At the time they denied responsibility. However they did send me money for a new tire, new oil, new filter, and labor. I should have hit them for a bike detail too!
Big_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Jeebus, BP. What a scare!
Old 11-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Time to revive this thread.

BMW-K and I took a little ride back in September of 2016. We rode to the farthest point on the continent- Cape Spear by St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada. This picture was taken at a campground in northern Nova Scotia, a region called Cape Breton. The view is towards the northeast, towards Newfoundland.

Advertisement