socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related) > Build Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG DECALS mailed to your door

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #21
Red
Forum Supporter
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BRP Honda XR650R

Member Garage Member Garage

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #22
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante187 View Post
Ok guys need another opinion on something.

I want this thing to be 100% badass when done and it's taking me forever to decide on some things so ordering parts are taking longer.

That being said, I'm stuck with the exhaust. I just got ahold of a mint 09 header. So it's titanium and has no cat.

I am not sure what to do as far as a slip on. I like the sound of the m4 gp but it looks a little cheap.

I also like the m4 streetslayer but haven't heard in person. Another one I like is the racefit mega but $700 for a slip on is ridiculous.

I'm thinking I might get a termi or akra muffler, cut it down and mount it kinda the way the m4 gp can is.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the akra or termi just because it will be a custom setup and with how the rest will be, it will just add more custom to the bike.

Also I removed the set valve controller and cables. The valve is mounted in the left side of the frame. That's also where the harness came out of to go to the speedo, headlights, turn signals, and dampner. I'm going to hide all the wiring in there and make a plate that will cover it all. Will be powder coated black to match of course.

Another thing, I'm going to make a custom radiator overflow tank. You guys think I should make a custom one that can be seen or hide it in the tail section? I'm thinking hidden in the tail section.

Thanks again guys
Hey Vigilante187, I have, the last 8+ years (off and on) been doing the mod thang. on my Gixxer. Way too much to list. Some of my machinist (hand made stuff), was done in Temecula, (for the pipe covers), anyway, I decided on the Bruce Engineering Slip-on-mid pipe. Most unique exhaust anywhere. Located in the Inland Empire. Name changed to (Bruce Fab.) or something like that. I think it will come up on google. A little loud (for my taste) but not overly so, and sounds so "here I am" and "I'm gone sucker". I get great feedback from everyone who sees it, (like WOW what pipe is that??!) Size and shape are perfect for the GSXR. Translucent powdercoat color is killer trick. Might want to give it a look.
UV1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #23
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
that is loud! Sounds a little like a hollow can though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV1000 View Post
Hey Vigilante187, I have, the last 8+ years (off and on) been doing the mod thang. on my Gixxer. Way too much to list. Some of my machinist (hand made stuff), was done in Temecula, (for the pipe covers), anyway, I decided on the Bruce Engineering Slip-on-mid pipe. Most unique exhaust anywhere. Located in the Inland Empire. Name changed to (Bruce Fab.) or something like that. I think it will come up on google. A little loud (for my taste) but not overly so, and sounds so "here I am" and "I'm gone sucker". I get great feedback from everyone who sees it, (like WOW what pipe is that??!) Size and shape are perfect for the GSXR. Translucent powdercoat color is killer trick. Might want to give it a look.
Never heard of them. I'll check it out though. Thanks for the info!
Vigilante187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #24
Red
Forum Supporter
Banned

Bike(s):
BRP Honda XR650R

Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #25
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

Quote:
that is loud! Sounds a little like a hollow can though.

Never heard of them. I'll check it out though. Thanks for the info!
Most Welcome. I have much info. on GSXR1000 mods. And crazy unique mods. in general. BTW, isn't the 2012 model the last one before the California exhaust sound stamp law thing? Me thinks. (Thank Arnold for that one). If so, I think you have the last of a breed. But it's just too early to see how this decibal/stamp law thing is going to work......against us. PS I used to believe the "loud pipe saves lives" saying was science, until I experienced the real life facts..... loud pipes work in traffic/splitting lanes, but only at certain/sane speeds. (and always with courtesy not hostility).
Old 09-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #26
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

Thanks for posting that Red. You literally find a video for everything. Your like the man of few words but the man of many videos. Lol.

Thanks again
Liked this post:
Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #27
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV1000 View Post
Most Welcome. I have much info. on GSXR1000 mods. And crazy unique mods. in general. BTW, isn't the 2012 model the last one before the California exhaust sound stamp law thing? Me thinks. (Thank Arnold for that one). If so, I think you have the last of a breed. But it's just too early to see how this decibal/stamp law thing is going to work......against us. PS I used to believe the "loud pipe saves lives" saying was science, until I experienced the real life facts..... loud pipes work in traffic/splitting lanes, but only at certain/sane speeds. (and always with courtesy not hostility).

I'm pretty good with mods custom and regular on most bikes as I work on them for a living. Exhaust systems always give me problems though. Sounds, quality, price, and fitment and not to mention how many exhaust companies are out there. And not sure if you have read about how this bike build will be but I want to do more of a custom exhaust to go with the bike.

And my 2012 is last year before the stupid exhaust stamp. It's also a 49 state model.
California sucks!!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #28
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

2012 model, good year, last year. Can you get rid of the driving mode thing selector switch?! It's just a pet peeve of mine. ( things have no business on a 1000, stupid/ignorant Suzuki execs.) but anyway, that's great to hear you do some/most/all/of your own work. Is your bike temp. out of commission? Newcombs ride and BBQ sounds good on Sunday...............I thinks me be there.....would like to see a 2012.........
Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #29
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

I've never tried to get rid of it but I'm sure I could. It's no bother to me intact I like it.

What I have done with them is flash the ecu where say A mode is your everyday awesome tune. B mode is a race tune with race gas, and C is a mode in case you get caught in rain. I would love to go to the BBQ and meet everyone but my bike is down right now.

I was hit on the freeway like 3 weeks ago. I just recently got my repair money from insurance and I'm in the process of ordering parts once I can figure out what parts I'm ordering. It will be a custom street fighter now.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #30
UV1000
UV Plasma Lighted Funda

Bike(s):
2005 GSXR1000 UV*

Sorry to hear you were hit. But it sounds like it was a glancing blow mostly. Good. I don't know if this story means anything, but, in a (long) past encounter of mine, involving a suddenly opened car door, middle of traffic, my left knee cap, and a confused teenage girl, the result was..... (mostly glancing) with a vehicle damages check that had enough to spare for some full leathers and a club racing license with tire budget....(Point) is, good things can come from life's adversities. Sounds like your on top of it. More power to ya.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #31
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

Glad you are ok. It's crazy what we deal with every time we ride. From the idiotic drivers to the road debris!

And thanks bud. This has been the first time I've dealt with something like this. I have crashed before but was my fault and I just fixed my bike. No insurance involved.

This has been a whole new experience for me. So far I have received $$ for the damages to my bike. Now having to wait for the medical part.

Went to the Dr the other day and my back is . My spine has like a S curve. My pelvic bone is popped way out of place. Having a lot of pain and I'm not able to stand on my feet for very long.

It's amazing when the accident happened and I went to the ER they said I was ok. And could return to work the next day with no restrictions. MORONS!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #32
OTMRR
Forum Supporter
RIP Lorena..

Bike(s):
07 GSX-R750
06 CBR1000RR SF project.
TRX450r (500 hill shooter)
71 CB500
02 Ca Plated XR400r

Oooh please post some pics..

Ti header is cool, kinda limits option though (my 2 cents) spendy to weld on / sucks budget. I got a pos 2 bros i'm gonna beat on and pc / weld to header (picked up a spare set of headers here cheap just in case I it up last week on here ). Need pics to give any real help to you.. Your obviously more aesthetic thinking.. If your thinking bad fighter.. Sound ain't an issue.. Short/loud works.. ? Cut down can? Cat with straight / megaphone?
OTMRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #33
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

I'll take and post some pics tomorrow when it's light out. It's torn down though right now. Header is in route to me now.

I don't mind loud but I want it to sound good. A deep tone. Nothing raspy or hollow sounding.

Do you do your own welding? What kind if welder do you have if so?

If you do have your own welder and need any help let me know. I've been welding for some years now. I agree with you TI is harder to weld. Just take your time.

I won't be running a cat. I just got the TI header off a 2009.

There are a bunch of slip ons for it already but I'm thinking of just picking up a muffler that I like the sound of and making it fit.

That's why I'm either thinking the termi or akra muffler, chopping it down and mounting like the m4 gp can.

So much to decide.....I'm going crazy here
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #34
OTMRR
Forum Supporter
RIP Lorena..

Bike(s):
07 GSX-R750
06 CBR1000RR SF project.
TRX450r (500 hill shooter)
71 CB500
02 Ca Plated XR400r

Man when if comes to welding I need all the help I can get.. Lol. I've a miller 211, picked up a spoolmate100 this afternoon for $125 ! Nib. Score! Lol 25+ years ago I was a qualified welder... Not touched one since.. It's horrible to watch now.
If you have skills to deal with Ti.. You're way over my level mate, and good on ya too.. I'd love some help! I'm an engineer by trade. If your're up for it.. I'm in big time. I've got a cbr1k I actually need to flip.., and i think I just acquired a 96 cbr600 too that's now mine.. Out in desert all day tomorrow.. Hopefully let's continue this..!
OTMRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #35
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

That's a nice welder. Also great find on the spoolmate.

You will have a real tough time welding TI with the spoolmate.

Be safe out there and let's talk more when you get back
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #36
Red
Forum Supporter
Banned

Bike(s):
BRP Honda XR650R

Cool Keep your ignition switch attached . . .

Quote:

Ok so I'm starting to figure out exactly how I want to build my bike now.

So I will be getting a driven keyless gas cap.
I will also be getting a race tail so no more key back there.

I have a machine shop I work with custom making me a triple set.
Drilled for risers and no key hole.

Do you guys think I should relocate the ignition somewhere else or just set it up keyless?

The keyless won't be to where anyone can just jump on it,
start it up and ride away.
It's a special kind of keyless

What you guys think??
Even if you just relocated it ~ it has a resistor inside of it . . .
Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #37
Vigilante187

Bike(s):
2012 gsxr 1000

I know it has a resistor but I'm not understanding your comment

Advertisement