socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > Technical > How To's ,Q & A's, Sportbike Repair
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
LAZO818
Member
 
LAZO818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 74












Valve check

So I've been considering performing the valve clearance check myself on my 09 CBR 1000 since its a few hundred miles from hitting its 24K mile mark. This particular service is pricey at a shop so I figured I could pocket the money by doing it on my own.
Have any of you guys done this yourself... if so what tips or suggestions do you have? Did you also have a shim kit in case you needed to make any adjustments?

I found this pretty detailed write up as well :

https://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/cbr..._clearance.htm

I've also watched a few youtube videos that have given me an idea....
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
OOTV
Senior Member
 
OOTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Anaheim
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 175

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP







Iíve done this on my 95 Ducati 900SS but that bike itís pretty easy to get to the top end. Before I attempted it, I made sure I had all the proper tools and any manuals, how-to videos at the ready. I will say having a shim kit is a good idea, as the last thing you want to do is get everything apart and find out that youíre out of spec and not have the shim you need to correct the issue. This typically means leaving the top end off for however long it takes to get the shim(s) or putting everything back together temporarily until you get the the shim(s).

When I did it, I started bright and early so I had plenty of time to deal with anything unexpected, I.e. broken bolt, stubborn fasteners or other item that gets in the way of progress. This way if I needed to run out and grab something, chances are the store/shop would still be open.
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Pearl zx6
Still Slow
 
Pearl zx6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,738


Bike(s):
Zx6r
Zx6r
Zx6r
Hopefully another zx6r






You can typically go in to your local shops and trade shims for a small fee. Try to stick to OE shims, you are in luck Honda shims are the cheapest from all the other manufactures.

I didn't read the write up that you posted but after you take your initial measurements if some of the valves are out of spec loosen the cam retainers then re-torque to spec. Go back and remeasure before you take everything apart. You never know if the previous guys hand torque is different than your torque wrench.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Pearl zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
1greatpandawan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 783












^ True about swapping shims, my local dealer would do it for free (if they have it laying around of course) just make sure you bring the out of spec ones and metric calipers just to confirm you got the right ones,!otherwise Honda’s shims are under $5 each (if I’m not mistaken)

Btw...One thing you won’t find on the write ups is how much of resistance you should “feel” when you slide the feeler gage for it not to be too tight or too loose since it’s your first time doing it. I think this is the part where you need someone to guide you (IMHO).
1greatpandawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
mikesx4911
Moderator
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Garden Grove
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,600

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR For Sale
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)



I have a 11 CBR1000 that's at 28k never been inspected.... I just said it.. It's a honda I will do it at 30k. And I'm also playing with the idea of just doing it myself. I have broken the bike down before to this point but the whole inspection of the valves to me is where it gets a little hairy. But not a bad time to flush the radiator and replace the spark plugs at the same time.
mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
LAZO818
Member
 
LAZO818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 74












Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesx4911 View Post
I have a 11 CBR1000 that's at 28k never been inspected.... I just said it.. It's a honda I will do it at 30k. And I'm also playing with the idea of just doing it myself. I have broken the bike down before to this point but the whole inspection of the valves to me is where it gets a little hairy. But not a bad time to flush the radiator and replace the spark plugs at the same time.
Let's have a moto valve clinic! Ya I was recently chatting to a tech that used to work at the North Hollywood Honda Dealer and he mentioned that this bike doesn't typically require any adjustments at the 24K mark. It's mainly for peace of mind and suggested routine maintenance...

I'm on the same page about doing the service and feeling a little bit uneasy, but I would be more so if it actually needed to be adjusted.

Last edited by LAZO818; 09-13-2018 at 10:08 AM.
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
mikesx4911
Moderator
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Garden Grove
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,600

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR For Sale
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)



Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZO818 View Post
Let's have a moto valve clinic! Ya I was recently chatting to a tech that used to work at the North Hollywood Honda Dealer and he mentioned that this bike doesn't typically require any adjustments at the 24K mark. It's mainly for peace of mind and suggested routine maintenance...

I'm on the same page about doing the service and feeling a little bit uneasy, but I would be more so if it actually needed to be adjusted.
I'm down with that!! I have a garage haha. I was thinking maybe just tear the bike down to the valves and than hire a mobile mechanic to actually come and check it. If I need shims than I will order the shims for that spec and have him install it and than put everything back together. I checked with motorhelmets today in Fullerton they wanted 450 for valve inspection/adjustment...
mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
LAZO818
Member
 
LAZO818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 74












Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesx4911 View Post
I'm down with that!! I have a garage haha. I was thinking maybe just tear the bike down to the valves and than hire a mobile mechanic to actually come and check it. If I need shims than I will order the shims for that spec and have him install it and than put everything back together. I checked with motorhelmets today in Fullerton they wanted 450 for valve inspection/adjustment...

Sounds like we're on the same level! Most of these shops are gonna charge you for labor on tear down/ rebuild. I'd say its about an hour of labor to just check the clearance if not less. So If you can do everything else yourself and just get the inspection done, it would definitely save money!
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
mikesx4911
Moderator
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Garden Grove
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,600

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR For Sale
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)



Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZO818 View Post
Sounds like we're on the same level! Most of these shops are gonna charge you for labor on tear down/ rebuild. I'd say its about an hour of labor to just check the clearance if not less. So If you can do everything else yourself and just get the inspection done, it would definitely save money!
Yup, I will check around with some mobile mechanics next week and see what they say.
mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
LAZO818
Member
 
LAZO818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 74












Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesx4911 View Post
Yup, I will check around with some mobile mechanics next week and see what they say.
Or if any of you guys that commented wanna make some cash since you've done it on your bikes let us know too!
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
mikesx4911
Moderator
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Garden Grove
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,600

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR For Sale
2005 CBR600RR (Totaled)
2000 CBR600 F4 (Stolen)
2010 CBR600RR Leyla (Totaled)



Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZO818 View Post
Or if any of you guys that commented wanna make some cash since you've done it on your bikes let us know too!
That would be preferable. If you want we can tear down our bikes together in the garage haha
mikesx4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
Tonybeau
Senior Member
 
Tonybeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 419

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2018 Tuono
2018 R1
2008 RSV1000R
2011 KTM 300XC Smoker






Would you not be better performing the inspection yourself? If nothing needs adjusted then you can button everything back up.

The real work would be if something needs adjusted as you need to remove the cams, timing chain etc.
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
LAZO818
Member
 
LAZO818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 74












Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybeau View Post
Would you not be better performing the inspection yourself? If nothing needs adjusted then you can button everything back up.

The real work would be if something needs adjusted as you need to remove the cams, timing chain etc.
That's the ideal situation in regards to the just the inspection... however as mentioned by Panda in regards to "feel" is what Mike and I are a little sketchy about. SO hence the offer to someone with experience in that aspect.
LAZO818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
Tonybeau
Senior Member
 
Tonybeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 419

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2018 Tuono
2018 R1
2008 RSV1000R
2011 KTM 300XC Smoker






Got it..makes sense.

Have only done dirt bikes and found the problem with the feel was the angle the feeler gauge goes in at. I found some angled gauges which were slightly easier but can also just bend the regular ones depending on the thickness.
Tonybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
rgbeard
Forum Supporter
Senior Member
 
rgbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ensenada, MX and Phoenix, AZ
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,693

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000


Member Garage Member Garage




I know I'm a little late to the party to comment, but I've always done my own valve checks.

It's great to me, as it forces me to get my hands a little dirty, get intimate with the machine, and I also almost always find things to do that an ordinary shop would skip over.

For your first time, plan on this being a little bit of downtime. Take your time. Don't hurry. You'll be well-rewarded when you hear it fire up for the first time after surgery.
__________________
My name is Rusty.

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
MrGreen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fullerton
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 109


Bike(s):
2014 Ninja 1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZO818 View Post
That's the ideal situation in regards to the just the inspection...



Thatís the worst situation to me. Taking apart a perfectly good motorcycle and disassembling a perfectly good engine for nothing...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools



Advertisement



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM.


socalsportbikes.org is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy