socalsportbikes.org socalsportbikes.org
Register Member Map Media Calendar Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SOCALSPORTBIKES.ORG - Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to THE NEW socalsportbikes.org, Southern California's Sportbike Forum! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our FREE community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!
Its FREE!
Register through Facebook Register quicker using facebook

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook for regular shirt giveaways and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
hbwesman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

The wait for the Michelin Road 5

I am in need of tires and have to wait about 3 weeks . I want to run the new Road 5 thats out in Jan. 2018.

Who else is gonna pick up a set!?

hbwesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Member Garage Member Garage

3 Weeks?

While you're waiting, burn up a set of Road 4s.

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=33_176_1073

I'm a fan of things that ride, fly and drive.

IBA: 63413
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbeard View Post
3 Weeks?

While you're waiting, burn up a set of Road 4s.

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=33_176_1073
Nah.... The Road 5 is said to be a bit sportier(looks like a steeper profile), more rubber, and less siping where it counts.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbwesman View Post
Nah.... The Road 5 is said to be a bit sportier(looks like a steeper profile), more rubber, and less siping where it counts.
In three weeks, you can burn up the 4s, and be ready for 5s!

5,000 miles or so in 3 weeks, right?

Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Quote:
In three weeks, you can burn up the 4s, and be ready for 5s!

5,000 miles or so in 3 weeks, right?
LOL The way I ride, they'll last 9K +
Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390

My PR4's lasted 10k miles. These Road 5's and Metzler Roadtec 01's are up next when my T30 EVO's burn up.
Mr. Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
thtanner
VFR Rider

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
14 VFR800 FE
98 VFR800 FI
86 Vulcan 750

I moved to T30 EVOs. Would have to really be great to draw me back I think.
thtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
rgbeard
Forum Supporter

Bike(s):
2001 Speed Triple
2001 Triumph Trophy
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
My PR4's lasted 10k miles. These Road 5's and Metzler Roadtec 01's are up next when my T30 EVO's burn up.
T30s?

I just gave-away a set of those. Didn't see myself using them any time soon. Didn't want them to just sit and age.

I ended up with a set of those, when I burned up a set of BT-016s in less than 2,000 miles. The Suzuki dealer in Barstow bailed my out with a late-Saturday request. Can't say enough good about those folks!

Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

The next set of road tires for my bike will definitely be the PR5s. I've been running the Continental Road Attack EVO 2s (terrible name) and although they've been good, they haven't been any better than the PR4s they replaced.

I like the Michelin feel and have utmost trust in their sport-touring tires.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Mr. Blue

Bike(s):
Yamaha: R6, WR250R, FZ1
Triumph: Tiger 1200
Honda: VTX
KTM: RC390

Quote:
T30s?

I just gave-away a set of those. Didn't see myself using them any time soon. Didn't want them to just sit and age.

I ended up with a set of those, when I burned up a set of BT-016s in less than 2,000 miles. The Suzuki dealer in Barstow bailed my out with a late-Saturday request. Can't say enough good about those folks!
I actually prefer the T30's to the PR4's in terms of performance. I don't think anything beats the Michelin's when it comes to wet weather which we obviously don't see a lot here. The Stone's have a harder sidewall which helps me feel the front end a bit more and their profile helps with slow speed turn-in. My T30 rear only lasted 7k miles though, but the front is still fine. So I expect to get at least 14k out of a front and 2 rears which is actually slightly cheaper than a set of Michelins (at the cost of inconvenience). My front PR4 was scalloped bad at 10k miles.
Mr. Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Jeebus. I'm over the moon if I get more than 6k miles from a sport-touring tire.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
Aphex

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Super Duke 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Jeebus. I'm over the moon if I get more than 6k miles from a sport-touring tire.
I feel the same.

Road Smart II's here and I crank out around 6-8k miles depending on how I ride and how often I check my tire pressure.
Aphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Yeah... I could really care less about the wet weather performance. Can't they just make an aggressive sport tire that lasts for us Californians!? So like the Road 5, but without all the water evacuation bs.

Last edited by hbwesman; 12-19-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #14
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbwesman View Post
Yeah... I could really care less about the wet weather performance. Can't they just make an aggressive sport tire that lasts for us Californians!? So like the Road 5, but without all the water evacuation bs.

Try the Conti Road Attack EVO 2. It has stellar levels of grip all the way over on the edge.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Try the Conti Road Attack EVO 2. It has stellar levels of grip all the way over on the edge.
I had been considering the ContiRoad Attack 3 till I came across the Michelin Road 5. The Road 5's profile looks really sporty, and there looks to be a lot more rubber and less tread/siping on the edges. I didn't care for the PR4's, but I think this new Michelin is going to be a good fit for me.

Skip ahead to 12:40 for a good, up close view of the Road 5.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #16
miles

Bike(s):
BMW S1000R
Husky 450SMR

Watch this video- you may change your mind:

Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #17
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

I dream about being able to ride like that in the future
Liked this post:
Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #18
Chaplain

Love me some 5's but still trying to wear out my 4's. I might have 6to7k on mine and 6 track days.... yea I ride like an old man but still.

<><
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #19
hbwesman

Bike(s):
2016 S1000R

My thoughts after 200 miles on the new Michelin Road 5

PROS

- Mileage: Can't say as of yet, but great mileage is expected. I’d be happy to see 7-8k out of my rear, but we shall see. I would imagine that middle-weights will see greater mileage.

- Low speed handling is fantastic. I actually like them better than the S21's I was running previously. They are pretty neutral, yet fall into corners around town(at lower around town speeds) very nicely. They feel very stable.

- On the highway, again, they're absolutely fantastic. They do not walk/grab/chase pavement changes, cracks, etc... they hold a line and feel very stable. The ride is smooth and they definitely do a good job of providing a gentler ride over a hypersport tire.

- Spirited riding & Cornering: Okay, so I've had them up in the mountains/canyons here in SoCal twice now. They definitely work, provide plenty of grip, but don't handle as good as I was hoping for; but they do handle a bit better as expected for a sport-touring tire(defintely better than the Dunlop RSII which I have on another bike+ the Dunlop has a much rounder profile and is slow to turn in). The Road 5 is a neutral feeling tire as expected, but a little slower to turn-in than expected. I was thinking that the steeper profile of this tire would allow it to turn-in and flick side-to-side a little faster and/or similar to a hypersport tire.

However, once over on the edge of the tire they hold a line very nicely, and due to the steeper/more aggressive profile over the PR4 and RSIII, they feel like they have a larger contact patch( more grip). They are more than happy to make mid-corner line corrections/changes if needed.

Now take it, I do ride pretty aggressively at times and do lean bikes 90% over on the edge of the tire(no chicken strips here), but I don't ride at 100% dragging knee so to speak(I am just not that skilled…yet). I am very curious, but have yet to really push them and see how hot I can enter a corner and apex with them(here I go sounding like I ride like a badass).

- Overall grip: I feel like they really grab the pavement well.I feel pretty confident over painted lines/crosswalks and tar snakes on dry road.
I did have the rear slide slightly and traction control kick-in(S1000R+Dynamic mode), in an uphill, very tight right-hand hair-pin that that had some dirt and small bits of gravel/rock on
the inside of the corner. Thank the front didn't slide...overall it was pretty minor though/not a pucker incident. I suppose you could say thats expected when hitting some dirt/gravel mid-corner though.
I do not ride in the rain/wet often. I have however ridden ACH here in SoCal on a set of PR4's in pouring rain. I was intrigued and wanted to see what they could handle at the time. I of course did not push them as hard as I would in the dry(I just don't have the ) but did have a good time and was pleasantly surprised at the level of confidence they inspired. At the end of the day I rode home down the 405 just as I would have in the dry conditions, but in pouring rain and they felt great. I would imagine the Road 5 is as good, if not better than the PR4 as Michelin claims in the wet.

CONS

Handling: Due to the steeper profile of the Road 5, I was hoping they would be just as quick/or close to the speed/lightness to turn-in and transition from side-to-side as a hyper-sport would. But maybe my expectations were a bit high. I would imagine that they’d be a bit quicker on a lighter/smaller bike than an S1000R.

*Please note: I was out late last night and have only downed 1 cup of tea at this time. Please take this review for what it is ha ha ha.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #20
OOTV

Bike(s):
09 Honda VFR800
01 Honda VFR800
95 Ducati 900SS/SP

I currently run a Pilot Power 3 (front) mated to a Pilot Road 4 (rear) on my 09 VFR800 and usually get well over 10k miles (at least on the last two sets). However on my 01 VFR, I'm running a matched set of Pilot RS tires, which at this point have only seen tracks days (4 days, 2 at Laguna Seca and 2 at Sonoma) I like the performance and feel of them but too early to tell how many miles I'll get out of them. Prior to these I had a set of PP3s and got 6k and 4k out of the last two sets. Just prior to the RS, I had a set of Bridgestone S21s. Good tire, great price but I do prefer the RS over the S21s.

If you look at the Road 5, you'll see the same basic tread pattern as the RS just with the additional rain sipes, and based on how the RS' perform, I'm willing to give the Road 5 a shot.

Not sure if I'll grab a "matched" set or go similar to what I have now, sport tire up front and sport-tour at the back. i.e. Pilot RS (front), Road 5 (rear). Being that the PP3 front last just as long as the PR4 rear, I kind of like that extra grip up front, just in case!
OOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement